Saturday, October 20, 2007
Road Trip
I decided to take a mini-vacation, combining fall break with this weekend. The four of us piled in my little car and drove south, the kids not knowing where we were headed. I kept it a mystery to them, something that drove them crazy!
We headed south and stopped by Robber’s Cave, somewhere I have been many times but the kids have never visited. Aubree loved climbing the rocks and squeezing through the cave crevices. Patrick? Not so much. Trying to follow Aubree through one of the crevices he was overheard saying, “people must have been a lot smaller back then!” It was a beautiful fall day and we enjoyed hiking up the trail and just being out there.
We then drove to Talihina and headed into the Talimena Drive.
This morning we got up and headed out to the War Eagle Crafts Festival. We walked a lot, shopped a lot, got some sun, and then headed back home. Patrick is in proud possession of a wooden dragon sword and shield set and Aubree scored a wooden train. It is nice to see that the kids still appreciate simple toys in the age of video games and electronics.
I think the kids enjoyed the trip but you wouldn’t know it by the complaining they did! Aubree was out of cell phone range and you would have thought the world was coming to an end. No phone! No friends! No drama! Cut off from the group of friends she calls her “posse”! I asked her in all seriousness if she appointed someone to be in charge while she was gone. It turns out she had but she was concerned the friend wasn’t up to the job. I tried to reassure her that somehow the world would survive if she went a day without talking to the posse, but she never seemed quite convinced.
Patrick? He complained about being cramped in the car, all the driving, and all the walking he had to do. Terri and I may appreciate scenic vistas, but as far as Patrick was concerned when you saw one you had seen them all. After a few of those crafts booths he thought the same thing about them. He kept reminding me that I was not to take any scenic bypasses on the way home. “One word for you dad…Highway! Highway!”
Remember of course that these are the same kids who have been known to say, “we never go anywhere!” Sometimes the little darlins just can’t be pleased! In spite of their complaining I know that they had some fun this weekend.
So did I. Sometimes it is just really nice to get away even if for a short time. Standing in the mountains, breathing the air, and looking at a sun beginning to set on gorgeous valleys gives one a sense of perspective that can get lost in day to day life.
|