Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Midweek Meanderings

It is midweek and it is Halloween! Scary eh?
I think Aubree is forgoing her planned trip to
A high school student carrying $600 with no job and no parental knowledge of access to that kind of money? Lets just say I was highly suspicious.
The gym restoration at my school is coming along nicely. A large crew has been working like crazy in there and are doing a great job.
The newest signature line in my work email is from John Gardner:
The cynic says, "One man can't do anything." I say, "Only one man can do anything."
I like that.
One of my class assignments is to go see this movie, King of the Mountain. This film is based on the two largest football powerhouses in this state and how they build their teams and compete for the state title every single year. The relevance to a personnel class? It is the idea that they identify, recruit, nurture, retain, and promote talent from the earliest ages. How do we do this in our school organizations?
One of those two teams wins the state title almost every single year. When they play each other they draw more fans than many college games. The rivalry is fierce and intense. A coach that loses a game or two at one of those schools is in big trouble. The expectations are enormous. Their secret? A program of nurturing and developing young football players and inculcating in them the dream that it will be them on that field some day, thousands of fans cheering, college coaches beating a path to their door.
A high school football coach once told me, “I have to be insane. My whole career is based on how well temperamental teenagers throw a funny shaped ball around a grass field.” I enjoy football as much as the next guy, but the importance of high school football in this state is just too much.
If you look at the state rankings regardless of class my school ranks third in the state behind those two powerhouses.
Patrick just isn’t in to trick or treating this year. He’d rather pass out candy at the door.
So how is YOUR week going?
|