Tuesday, September 18, 2007
The Game
I regularly peruse Amazon’s Top 100 books list, always on the hunt for something new and interesting to read. I was amused to find books called “The Mystery Method” and “The Game” listed within the top 50. These books purport to reveal the secrets of the “pickup artist” (PUA) and how a guy who never has any luck with women, aka the “average frustrated chump” (AFC) can learn certain techniques that will allow him to approach HBs (hot babes) and get them into bed. Apparently there is a subculture of men who are obsessed with developing and refining their technique and aiming toward a quite simple goal: Get laid by as many beautiful women as possible! Some of the gurus of these methods charge thousands of dollars for seminars for guys eager to learn.
From reading the reviews and comments it apparently comes down to several things. Forget what your mom taught you about being a gentleman. Women make nice guys their friend and sleep with the other guys. The rest of the advice sounds not all that different from trying to sell encyclopedias or automobiles….approach, engage, seduce, close the deal. Techniques such as the “neg” (subtly insulting her so that she knows you are not under her spell and making her want to seduce you) and “the pivot” (using the company of one attractive woman to move on another). Flirt with her less attractive friend so that she will come after you to redeem her ego. Further manipulation methods are outlined, each described as a way to get to the promised land.
I probably won’t be buying these books. First of all, since I am in a relationship I don’t need any advice about how to attract women. Even if I was in the market I don’t think I’d want to rely on these techniques. It is no mystery why books like these would sell so very well. From puberty on, guys wonder how they can get the girl. Sometimes it can be an obsession. Some guys are good at it and some aren’t. Some think they are good at it and the reality is that they are not. Some think they are not but just need a boost of confidence.
I’ve always liked intelligent women and I’m not sure I’d want a woman that could be seduced by such lame methods. There is some truth in the writing such as the belief that some women say they want a nice guy but always go for the bad boys….the ultimate frustration for the nice guys out there. But much of the advice is focused on “the game”, getting a woman into bed. What happens the next day? It’s almost like the character in "The Candidate" who works so hard to win the election and then asks, “what now?” It ultimately becomes a game with a score but no winner. After you’ve slept with 100 women, where is the thrill in the 101st?
Whatever happened to,“Hi there. Can I buy you a drink?”, anyway?
|