<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, October 05, 2006

The Trifecta 

It doesn't really seem possible, but this marks my third year of blogging. Yes, its my blogiversary! It doesn't seem possible that all this time has passed since the last one, much less three entire years.

I don't go back into my archives very often. What is there is there, and for the most part I don't choose to go back and re-live it. There is a lot of joy in those archives as well as a great deal of pain. But for this occasion I rooted around back there so that I could get a sense of what has transpired in the past three years.

I can feel the almost flippant contentment I had when I started blogging as just something I read about and sounded fun to do. I remember that guy.

I can feel the anguish I felt during the breakup of my marriage. I can remember what it felt like to pack up my things and move back home. I can remember the discussions with the kids, all those nights talking with them what it all meant. I remember the revelations that came to me as I thought about my life and pondered my future. I remember that guy.

I can feel those days back in my hometown as I settled in to a new job and home. I remember all those nights spent pondering my life and what it all meant. I remember the friends who tried to help me sort it all out. I remember drinking alone on Christmas Eve. I remember the rays of hope shining through what seemed like darkness. Oh yes, I remember that guy.

I feel myself struggling through dating and relationships, seemingly swaying in the wind, confused and angrier than I wanted to admit, making seemingly tons of mistakes, and wondering what I was doing wrong. I regretfully remember that guy.

I remember my father passing away followed by the news of a job promotion and admission into a doctoral program. I remember thinking about the cruel irony of that convergence of events. I still miss my dad so much, and yes I remember that guy as well.

I remember a chance meeting with a classmate from high school turning into a romance I could not have imagined. I smile when I remember that guy.

I also remember you. I have met so many fascinating and interesting people in my three years here. I have made friendships that I truly believe will last a lifetime. I can't even begin to mention everyone, but so many of you out there have meant so much to me. I can't even begin to thank you properly.

So after that stroll down memory lane I find myself here three years later. As I look back over three years I regret the many mistakes I have made, ponder the many lessons learned, rejoice in the friendships I have made, savor the life that affords even schmucks like me another chance, look in awe at my kids and the joy that they are, and relish thoughts of the life that lies ahead.

Life really is a journey and not a destination. After three years, this is still the place where I chronicle my journey. I'm glad you are joining me in the journey and sharing yours with me.

Join me for a little party in comments if you will. And you lurkers? There is never a better time to come out and say hi!

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?