<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Missing 

The kids left with their mom this evening. I probably won't see them for a week. This leaves me with some mixed feelings.

I'm happy to have a mini-vacation. I'm going to have a blast this weekend. Its been almost a year since the kids have been away from me more than overnight. The house is peaceful and quiet. Soon it will be cleaner than normal. No noises. No arguments. No protests about what is for dinner. Just peace and quiet.

But in many ways I miss them already. I miss the rhythm of our bedtime routine. I miss kissing them goodnight. I miss bantering with them. I miss debating the finer points of superheroes with Patrick. I miss teasing back and forth about music with Aubree. I'll even miss the morning hustle and bustle of getting ready for our day.

This is like empty nest light. Just a taste of it. You don't realize how woven the kids are into everything you do. When I stopped at the grocery store I had to consciously tell myself that I didn't have to get milk and cereal for them on this trip. No need for the jar of maraschino cherries that Aubree loves so much. No need for popcorn for Patrick. I don't hear the ever present sound of Aubree's television coming from her room. Cartoon Network isn't on. Neither is MTV.

How strange it will be to wake up tomorrow morning, get ready for work, and not have to hustle Patrick along so he won't miss his bus. No waiting for Aubree to get done with the shower so that I can hop in. No worries about clothing except for myself. No stuffing lunch money in Patrick's pocket as he darts for the door.

I'm going to have a great time in the next week. But I already know I'll be so ready to see them when they return. I do love those little rascals so much.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?