Wednesday, May 31, 2006
Midweek Meanderings
A Monday holiday always throws off my timing. At least I remembered to get the garbage can to the curb last night.
The kids come back tomorrow. I've been cleaning up their rooms, both as a surprise for them and as a way to get rid of broken toys, too-small clothing, and other things we don't need for our upcoming move.
I sat through an daylong symposium today on instructional leadership. The speakers and subject matter were interesting, but a full day of sitting in one seat is hard to take. Still, I did learn quite a bit and acquired some food for thought.
One statistic that was tossed out. A child who has been retained twice for academic reasons only has about a 10% chance of graduating from high school. Retained once? 50% chance.
The symposium was held at Booker T. Washington High School, named one of America's 100 best high schools by Newsweek magazine. It is a spectacular building, just remodeled a few years ago.
My first summer class was cancelled, so I'm due to start my doctoral program on July 7th. This gives me a little bit of an unanticipated break. I'm sure I'll find something to fill the time with. :)
I enjoyed the comments on my previous post. I've already thought of some other songs that would HAVE to be on that list.
No Joan, I didn't get married last weekend, but had we wanted to, we were in the right place. Euereka Springs may rival Las Vegas in the number of wedding chapels. We saw two different wedding parties on the lawn of one of the hotels and several cars with "Just Got Married" painted on them.
Another thing I found odd were restaurants with very limited hours. One restaurant that we intended to visit was only open from 5-9 p.m., Friday and Saturday. Whats up with that? A tourist town full of people. Nice big restaurant with an enticing menu. Only open eight hours a week?
We also went and saw "The DaVinci Code". I kept telling myself, "they can't put it all in the movie. The book is too complex for that." So I tried to rein in any disappointment from things that were left out. That being said, I did enjoy the movie and found it better than many of the reviews I read. Tom Hanks is a fabulous actor but he didn't fit the Robert Langdon role for me. Audrey Tatou is a babe and not a bad actress either.
I understand from reading Dan Brown's website that he plans on several books with Langdon as the main character. The next one has to do with the Masonic order. Should be interesting reading. He does know how to take historical mystery and theories and spin a yarn.
Did I mention that the kids were coming back tomorrow? I can't wait to see them.
So how is YOUR week going?
|
The kids come back tomorrow. I've been cleaning up their rooms, both as a surprise for them and as a way to get rid of broken toys, too-small clothing, and other things we don't need for our upcoming move.
I sat through an daylong symposium today on instructional leadership. The speakers and subject matter were interesting, but a full day of sitting in one seat is hard to take. Still, I did learn quite a bit and acquired some food for thought.
One statistic that was tossed out. A child who has been retained twice for academic reasons only has about a 10% chance of graduating from high school. Retained once? 50% chance.
The symposium was held at Booker T. Washington High School, named one of America's 100 best high schools by Newsweek magazine. It is a spectacular building, just remodeled a few years ago.
My first summer class was cancelled, so I'm due to start my doctoral program on July 7th. This gives me a little bit of an unanticipated break. I'm sure I'll find something to fill the time with. :)
I enjoyed the comments on my previous post. I've already thought of some other songs that would HAVE to be on that list.
No Joan, I didn't get married last weekend, but had we wanted to, we were in the right place. Euereka Springs may rival Las Vegas in the number of wedding chapels. We saw two different wedding parties on the lawn of one of the hotels and several cars with "Just Got Married" painted on them.
Another thing I found odd were restaurants with very limited hours. One restaurant that we intended to visit was only open from 5-9 p.m., Friday and Saturday. Whats up with that? A tourist town full of people. Nice big restaurant with an enticing menu. Only open eight hours a week?
We also went and saw "The DaVinci Code". I kept telling myself, "they can't put it all in the movie. The book is too complex for that." So I tried to rein in any disappointment from things that were left out. That being said, I did enjoy the movie and found it better than many of the reviews I read. Tom Hanks is a fabulous actor but he didn't fit the Robert Langdon role for me. Audrey Tatou is a babe and not a bad actress either.
I understand from reading Dan Brown's website that he plans on several books with Langdon as the main character. The next one has to do with the Masonic order. Should be interesting reading. He does know how to take historical mystery and theories and spin a yarn.
Did I mention that the kids were coming back tomorrow? I can't wait to see them.
So how is YOUR week going?
|