Wednesday, May 17, 2006
Midweek Meanderings
I could've sworn it was only Tuesday. I was so sure that I was ready to put my garbage can at the curb for pickup tomorrow. Oops.
Aubree has a graduation ceremony next week. She is graduating from fifth grade. This is a big deal to the fifth graders involved. She HAD to have a new dress and she hardly ever wears dresses. She HAD to have high heels even though she has never worn high heels. She also wants to get her hair and nails done.
The problem with high heels is that she doesn't know how to walk on them. So she has worn them for a couple of days now so that, "I don't fall flat on my face at graduation." I personally don't see how you girls do it. Those things look very uncomfortable to me.
Only six school days left in this year.
A student was sent to me for being disruptive in class. She told me a tale of how she cursed out the teacher and physically punched the teacher. But her disciplinary referral simply said, "disruptive in class". I talked to the teacher and he laughed and said that she'd just been talking too much. There was no cursing and no hitting. The girl comes in the next morning and asks me, "so, am I suspended?" Nope. "Why not"? The teacher said that you didn't do those things. "But Mr. S., I swear that I cursed him out and hit him." That isn't what he says. "So you're not going to suspend me?" No I'm not. "That isn't fair. I shouldn't get away with this." I laugh and say, "I hope you don't mind if I sit here and enjoy the irony of this situation. This is the polar opposite of what people usually say sitting in your chair." "Mr. S, you're impossible!" "Well, so I've been told." Storms out of office. Priceless.
Middle school is so much fun with only a week left. Visit your local middle school and find out for yourself!
I've been working like crazy on my portfolio for my Principal's Academy. It involved a lot of writing, basically mapping out your philosophy, values, expectations, and plans for your first year on the job. It was very thought provoking but a helluva lot of work.
Picture the scene. The kids go with their mom Memorial Day weekend. She is visiting from England and is taking them on vacation. There I am with a three day holiday weekend. Mystery girl also has a three day holiday weekend. Is it coming in clearly now? I need a romantic holiday weekend somewhere away from here. I'm open to suggestions.
I know I'll enjoy the time without the day-to-day child care, but history tells me that I'll be missing them like crazy after a few days. I always do.
My latest reading? "Manhunt - The Twelve Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer". An excellent book if you're into this kind of thing.
Isn't it sad when I pull in to buy gas and I'm relieved that it ONLY costs $2.65 a gallon?
Did I mention that there were only six school days left?
So how is YOUR week going?
|
Aubree has a graduation ceremony next week. She is graduating from fifth grade. This is a big deal to the fifth graders involved. She HAD to have a new dress and she hardly ever wears dresses. She HAD to have high heels even though she has never worn high heels. She also wants to get her hair and nails done.
The problem with high heels is that she doesn't know how to walk on them. So she has worn them for a couple of days now so that, "I don't fall flat on my face at graduation." I personally don't see how you girls do it. Those things look very uncomfortable to me.
Only six school days left in this year.
A student was sent to me for being disruptive in class. She told me a tale of how she cursed out the teacher and physically punched the teacher. But her disciplinary referral simply said, "disruptive in class". I talked to the teacher and he laughed and said that she'd just been talking too much. There was no cursing and no hitting. The girl comes in the next morning and asks me, "so, am I suspended?" Nope. "Why not"? The teacher said that you didn't do those things. "But Mr. S., I swear that I cursed him out and hit him." That isn't what he says. "So you're not going to suspend me?" No I'm not. "That isn't fair. I shouldn't get away with this." I laugh and say, "I hope you don't mind if I sit here and enjoy the irony of this situation. This is the polar opposite of what people usually say sitting in your chair." "Mr. S, you're impossible!" "Well, so I've been told." Storms out of office. Priceless.
Middle school is so much fun with only a week left. Visit your local middle school and find out for yourself!
I've been working like crazy on my portfolio for my Principal's Academy. It involved a lot of writing, basically mapping out your philosophy, values, expectations, and plans for your first year on the job. It was very thought provoking but a helluva lot of work.
Picture the scene. The kids go with their mom Memorial Day weekend. She is visiting from England and is taking them on vacation. There I am with a three day holiday weekend. Mystery girl also has a three day holiday weekend. Is it coming in clearly now? I need a romantic holiday weekend somewhere away from here. I'm open to suggestions.
I know I'll enjoy the time without the day-to-day child care, but history tells me that I'll be missing them like crazy after a few days. I always do.
My latest reading? "Manhunt - The Twelve Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer". An excellent book if you're into this kind of thing.
Isn't it sad when I pull in to buy gas and I'm relieved that it ONLY costs $2.65 a gallon?
Did I mention that there were only six school days left?
So how is YOUR week going?
|