Wednesday, May 10, 2006
Midweek Meanderings
Its already Wednesday again. I both love and hate how my weeks seem to fly by.
Patrick is off to the state Special Olympics meet. After the obligatory trip to Wal Mart for toiletries and sunscreen, we packed him up and got him ready to go. I didn't think he'd ever get to sleep last night. It certainly wasn't a problem getting him to get up and get dressed this morning either!
I stopped at a convenience store near my school yesterday. A older black gentleman was parked next to me, and when I got out of the car he said something I couldn't quite understand. I looked at him quizically and he said, "are you a lawyer?" . I replied, "no sir, I'm not!". He said, "well, you look like a lawyer." I laughed and said, "I'm not sure if that is good or not!" He laughed back and said, "oh it is. You cut a nice jib." I do?
A girl was sent to my office for being disrespectful to her teacher. She told him, "I don't want to hear from your old ugly self." She objected, saying, "I didn't say old.....I said O. Just O. O ugly self." I chuckled and said, "well that makes it soooooo much better. Did you just say ug instead of ugly too?"
Aubree is staying the night at a friend's house tonight. My mom has an early morning appointment and won't be able to take her to school. So she will stay with her friend and go to school with her in the morning. This creates a very rare occurence. There are no kids in my house tonight. Do you have any idea how quiet it is here with no kids? I don't know what to do with myself. On second thought, I'm sure I'll think of something.
I suspended a student for the rest of the school year(11 days) today for mocking a teacher and using gang signs. I called his mom, explained the situation, answered a few of her questions, and she came and picked him up. One of my co-workers said, "how badly did she cuss you out?". She didn't. She was very nice. Co-worker said, "you're kidding right? She cussed me out every single time I've called her this year. I refuse to call her anymore. She really didn't cuss you out?" Nope. She said, "thats not fair. I'm going to cuss you out myself just to make everything equal." I said, "it must be my native charm and personality." She replied, "now I'm REALLY going to cuss you out!" You have to have a sense of humor to work in schools these days. I love it.
It is Teacher Appreciation Week. Know a teacher? Give them some thanks for the difficult work they do in these challenging times. Hell, give them a hug. I'll take one.
My brother is giving my niece his old car today. It is a Saturn, several years old, bright red, and in good condition. She'll receive the car in about an hour and she has no idea it is coming. Remember your first car? She's going to be thrilled. Of course, she's months away from actually being able to drive it. But still.
The kid's mom will be here to visit them from England in about two weeks. They haven't seen her since last summer and they are very excited! As I understand it, they will be taking a trip to Silver Dollar City in Branson, Missourri. I'm sure they will have a blast.
I'm ready for the movie, "The DaVinci Code" to come out, even though I know it can't possibly be as good as the book. Movies are hardly ever as good as the book. I know that a lot of religious groups are very upset about this book and movie. Folks.......its fiction! Its a story! Its not a scholarly work that threatens the world of faith.
Time for me to go do something. Maybe I'll try to cut a jib if I can find one.
|
Patrick is off to the state Special Olympics meet. After the obligatory trip to Wal Mart for toiletries and sunscreen, we packed him up and got him ready to go. I didn't think he'd ever get to sleep last night. It certainly wasn't a problem getting him to get up and get dressed this morning either!
I stopped at a convenience store near my school yesterday. A older black gentleman was parked next to me, and when I got out of the car he said something I couldn't quite understand. I looked at him quizically and he said, "are you a lawyer?" . I replied, "no sir, I'm not!". He said, "well, you look like a lawyer." I laughed and said, "I'm not sure if that is good or not!" He laughed back and said, "oh it is. You cut a nice jib." I do?
A girl was sent to my office for being disrespectful to her teacher. She told him, "I don't want to hear from your old ugly self." She objected, saying, "I didn't say old.....I said O. Just O. O ugly self." I chuckled and said, "well that makes it soooooo much better. Did you just say ug instead of ugly too?"
Aubree is staying the night at a friend's house tonight. My mom has an early morning appointment and won't be able to take her to school. So she will stay with her friend and go to school with her in the morning. This creates a very rare occurence. There are no kids in my house tonight. Do you have any idea how quiet it is here with no kids? I don't know what to do with myself. On second thought, I'm sure I'll think of something.
I suspended a student for the rest of the school year(11 days) today for mocking a teacher and using gang signs. I called his mom, explained the situation, answered a few of her questions, and she came and picked him up. One of my co-workers said, "how badly did she cuss you out?". She didn't. She was very nice. Co-worker said, "you're kidding right? She cussed me out every single time I've called her this year. I refuse to call her anymore. She really didn't cuss you out?" Nope. She said, "thats not fair. I'm going to cuss you out myself just to make everything equal." I said, "it must be my native charm and personality." She replied, "now I'm REALLY going to cuss you out!" You have to have a sense of humor to work in schools these days. I love it.
It is Teacher Appreciation Week. Know a teacher? Give them some thanks for the difficult work they do in these challenging times. Hell, give them a hug. I'll take one.
My brother is giving my niece his old car today. It is a Saturn, several years old, bright red, and in good condition. She'll receive the car in about an hour and she has no idea it is coming. Remember your first car? She's going to be thrilled. Of course, she's months away from actually being able to drive it. But still.
The kid's mom will be here to visit them from England in about two weeks. They haven't seen her since last summer and they are very excited! As I understand it, they will be taking a trip to Silver Dollar City in Branson, Missourri. I'm sure they will have a blast.
I'm ready for the movie, "The DaVinci Code" to come out, even though I know it can't possibly be as good as the book. Movies are hardly ever as good as the book. I know that a lot of religious groups are very upset about this book and movie. Folks.......its fiction! Its a story! Its not a scholarly work that threatens the world of faith.
Time for me to go do something. Maybe I'll try to cut a jib if I can find one.
|