Monday, May 29, 2006
Home Again
I'm back from the ever-so-romantic and ever-so-needed getaway to Eureka Springs. I simply must tell you all about it.
But first I have to show you Aubree's picture from graduation last week. I'm afraid she is looking entirely too grown up.

Waaaayyyy toooooo grown up. This is what I get when I let her go to her friend's house to prepare for graduation.
But back to my holiday weekend. We left late Saturday morning and arrived in Eureka Springs that afternoon. A lot of Eureka Springs looks the same as the last time I visited about five years ago. One huge difference is all the bikers. Hotels everywhere there advertise as "biker friendly" and there were plenty of bikers to be friendly with. We did get to see some very cool bikes. There were also signs around advertising it as "gay friendly". Once again, not something I remember from past visits.
But the air is still fresh, the scenery still spectacular, and the feeling very relaxed. They don't rent mo-peds there anymore. Bummer. But we did enjoy riding the trolley around and just enjoying all the sights.
I did miss the kids. I do miss the kids. But Mystery Girl did a nice job of trying to keep me distracted.

We did do other things than just lounge in the jacuzzi. We sampled chocolate caramel fudge from Two Dumb Dames. They may be dumb, but they certainly make some delicious fudge. We had a meal to die for at Gaskins Cabin. The steak I ate there was one of the best I've ever had and Mystery Girl's salmon was purportedly pretty tasty as well.
We certainly got our exercise walking up and down the steep hills of downtown Eureka Springs. There were all kinds of quaint and funky little shops.
There was a problem on day two however. I get up in the morning. I shower. I walk over to myhaphazardly carefully packed bag. I remove clothes for the day. One problem. No underwear! Shouldn't be a problem. I'll go commando until we can find a place to purchase underwear. There is no Wal Mart in Eureka Springs. There is no J.C. Penney. There is no Kohls. We finally found a clothing store. Problem solved, right? This little shop specialized in Tommy Bahama clothing. They did however carry boxer shorts. Mystery Girl picks me out a very nice pair. I gulp at the price. Thirty bucks. I've never owned a pair of underwear that cost a fraction of that. Still, while going commando is rather freeing it also left me feeling rather...exposed. So I ante up, walk to a public bathroom, change into my Tommy Bahama boxers and we are good to go again.
I had to tell that. Mystery Girl won't LET me tell her underwear story.
Thats just as well because she lost a couple of bets with me. Never argue with me about the music of Van Morrison and Marshall Tucker Band. Also, never bet that I can't take a picture of you while you sleep. But I digress....
Have you ever noticed that vacations just fly by? It seemed like we had just got settled and comfortable when it was time to pack up and go again. We stopped by downtown one more time and picked up souvenir t-shirts for the kids.

Home again. Back to work tomorrow. A busy summer looms ahead. But we certainly did enjoy our little time in the Ozarks.
|
But first I have to show you Aubree's picture from graduation last week. I'm afraid she is looking entirely too grown up.
Waaaayyyy toooooo grown up. This is what I get when I let her go to her friend's house to prepare for graduation.
But back to my holiday weekend. We left late Saturday morning and arrived in Eureka Springs that afternoon. A lot of Eureka Springs looks the same as the last time I visited about five years ago. One huge difference is all the bikers. Hotels everywhere there advertise as "biker friendly" and there were plenty of bikers to be friendly with. We did get to see some very cool bikes. There were also signs around advertising it as "gay friendly". Once again, not something I remember from past visits.
But the air is still fresh, the scenery still spectacular, and the feeling very relaxed. They don't rent mo-peds there anymore. Bummer. But we did enjoy riding the trolley around and just enjoying all the sights.
I did miss the kids. I do miss the kids. But Mystery Girl did a nice job of trying to keep me distracted.
We did do other things than just lounge in the jacuzzi. We sampled chocolate caramel fudge from Two Dumb Dames. They may be dumb, but they certainly make some delicious fudge. We had a meal to die for at Gaskins Cabin. The steak I ate there was one of the best I've ever had and Mystery Girl's salmon was purportedly pretty tasty as well.
We certainly got our exercise walking up and down the steep hills of downtown Eureka Springs. There were all kinds of quaint and funky little shops.
There was a problem on day two however. I get up in the morning. I shower. I walk over to my
I had to tell that. Mystery Girl won't LET me tell her underwear story.
Thats just as well because she lost a couple of bets with me. Never argue with me about the music of Van Morrison and Marshall Tucker Band. Also, never bet that I can't take a picture of you while you sleep. But I digress....
Have you ever noticed that vacations just fly by? It seemed like we had just got settled and comfortable when it was time to pack up and go again. We stopped by downtown one more time and picked up souvenir t-shirts for the kids.
Home again. Back to work tomorrow. A busy summer looms ahead. But we certainly did enjoy our little time in the Ozarks.
|