Sunday, April 02, 2006
Transitions
There is an educational term that describes the teacher's task of getting students to switch from one task to another. For young people these "transitions" are sometimes to difficult to manage. Its no different for adults. Whether it be a relationship, a job, or some other area of life, this ability to "switch gears" is something that is a challenge for any of us.
Most of you know that I recently ended my relationship with Monica. She and I are both transitioning out of our relationship and trying to maintain a friendship. Why not? We are both decent, intelligent, reasonable adults in spite of the fact that our relationship did not work out. I am grateful to my friends who offered their advice and good wishes in this transition. I am also grateful for her friends who have been there for her. Transitions do not happen in a vacuum, and all of us need the support of those who care about us. For anyone out there who thinks that I have been "burned", nothing could be further from the truth. I do not have negative feelings toward Monica and I wish her peace and happiness. Both of us are dating again and making our transition in our own way. I know that she is excited about things that are occurring in her life and so am I! Life flows and moves on and I think both of us are doing well in this transition. If you are inclined to have negative thoughts about her on my behalf....please don't. Things are as they should be and both of us are moving on.
I have traditionally been able to maintain friendships with my "exes" and I think this is a good thing in most cases. You know each other better than most people do and caring about someone doesn't just end when the relationship does. Relationships don't always last, but many of things that brought you together in the first place can form the basis of a friendship if you can put aside the feelings surrounding the end of the relationship. You make the transition and everyone is better off for it.
I'm making a transition in my professional life as well. A new title, position, and a new school brings excitement and challenges. People don't know what to think about me yet. The kids look at me with a mixture of curiousity and fear. What is this guy up to? Teachers are much the same. When I walk into a classroom to observe instruction(and I've done a lot of that in the past week), I can see the looks on their faces. In my old school they would've just smiled and welcomed me to class. Now, they are wondering what I'm thinking and why I'm there. They catch me in the hall later and attempt to explain/justify what was going on in class while I was there. Some are openly lobbying me to keep their job. I'm the new kid and I'm just trying to figure out what is going on. I'm not making any judgements based on one ten minute classroom visit. I'm called "sir" a lot more than I'm used to. I walk up to the custodian, smile, and ask him how its going and he reacts by defensively telling me all the things he's done today. Maybe they don't understand that this is a transition for all of us. There will be time for all of that later. We all want the same thing....the best possible education for the children in our care. The rest will sort itself out in the days and weeks ahead.
If you're with us and really want to improve education for all of our students, then we're on the same team and I'll back you with everything in me. Not ready for that? Find another school to work in. Thats what its all about, isn't it? These kids are not throwaways and I will do everything within my limited power to make sure that they are given every possible opportunity to succeed. Remember that idealistic young teacher that you once were? Find him/her again. My administrative colleagues and I will give you a school with discipline, order, a focused curriculum, a workable schedule, and a sense of purpose. Your job? Teach your ass off to these kids and NEVER give up. This is your transition and mine.
I'm making these transitions with joy in my heart. I'm excited and optimistic about the future. It is springtime and I see new blooms every day, coming out of dormancy and read to show their colors to the world. My gears are shifting and I'm a better person for it. My future? It is bright and I'm ready to attack it.
When going through some of my father's things I came across a metal, sculpted phoenix. It was an award given to him for his work in designing a mainframe computer system called, "The Phoenix System". That sculpture now sits on my desk at work. It reminds me of my dad and it reminds me that like the phoenix, we can remake ourselves and arise from the ashes of our past and take flight.
|
Most of you know that I recently ended my relationship with Monica. She and I are both transitioning out of our relationship and trying to maintain a friendship. Why not? We are both decent, intelligent, reasonable adults in spite of the fact that our relationship did not work out. I am grateful to my friends who offered their advice and good wishes in this transition. I am also grateful for her friends who have been there for her. Transitions do not happen in a vacuum, and all of us need the support of those who care about us. For anyone out there who thinks that I have been "burned", nothing could be further from the truth. I do not have negative feelings toward Monica and I wish her peace and happiness. Both of us are dating again and making our transition in our own way. I know that she is excited about things that are occurring in her life and so am I! Life flows and moves on and I think both of us are doing well in this transition. If you are inclined to have negative thoughts about her on my behalf....please don't. Things are as they should be and both of us are moving on.
I have traditionally been able to maintain friendships with my "exes" and I think this is a good thing in most cases. You know each other better than most people do and caring about someone doesn't just end when the relationship does. Relationships don't always last, but many of things that brought you together in the first place can form the basis of a friendship if you can put aside the feelings surrounding the end of the relationship. You make the transition and everyone is better off for it.
I'm making a transition in my professional life as well. A new title, position, and a new school brings excitement and challenges. People don't know what to think about me yet. The kids look at me with a mixture of curiousity and fear. What is this guy up to? Teachers are much the same. When I walk into a classroom to observe instruction(and I've done a lot of that in the past week), I can see the looks on their faces. In my old school they would've just smiled and welcomed me to class. Now, they are wondering what I'm thinking and why I'm there. They catch me in the hall later and attempt to explain/justify what was going on in class while I was there. Some are openly lobbying me to keep their job. I'm the new kid and I'm just trying to figure out what is going on. I'm not making any judgements based on one ten minute classroom visit. I'm called "sir" a lot more than I'm used to. I walk up to the custodian, smile, and ask him how its going and he reacts by defensively telling me all the things he's done today. Maybe they don't understand that this is a transition for all of us. There will be time for all of that later. We all want the same thing....the best possible education for the children in our care. The rest will sort itself out in the days and weeks ahead.
If you're with us and really want to improve education for all of our students, then we're on the same team and I'll back you with everything in me. Not ready for that? Find another school to work in. Thats what its all about, isn't it? These kids are not throwaways and I will do everything within my limited power to make sure that they are given every possible opportunity to succeed. Remember that idealistic young teacher that you once were? Find him/her again. My administrative colleagues and I will give you a school with discipline, order, a focused curriculum, a workable schedule, and a sense of purpose. Your job? Teach your ass off to these kids and NEVER give up. This is your transition and mine.
I'm making these transitions with joy in my heart. I'm excited and optimistic about the future. It is springtime and I see new blooms every day, coming out of dormancy and read to show their colors to the world. My gears are shifting and I'm a better person for it. My future? It is bright and I'm ready to attack it.
When going through some of my father's things I came across a metal, sculpted phoenix. It was an award given to him for his work in designing a mainframe computer system called, "The Phoenix System". That sculpture now sits on my desk at work. It reminds me of my dad and it reminds me that like the phoenix, we can remake ourselves and arise from the ashes of our past and take flight.
|