Wednesday, April 26, 2006
Midweek Meanderings
Once again it is midweek and I've certainly had my plate full.
We have a boy who was suspended long-term from school before I got there. He keeps wanting to come back on campus to visit his friends. We keep telling him to leave and he keeps coming back. Three times he has ended up being handcuffed by security guards waiting for the police and a guardian to arrive. Three times he has received a ticket for trespassing. The last time he was on campus he was supposed to be in court on the first trespassing charge! I feel a bit sorry for him but he can't be on campus while he is suspended, banging on classroom windows, and walking up and down the halls like he owns the place. I have the strong impression that his family has no control over him at all. He just goes where he wants, when he wants. A warrant was issued for his arrest after he missed court. Sad. The last time he was brought in by the security guard I asked him, "aren't you getting a little tired of this? I personally would not want to be handcuffed." He said, "you ask way too many questions." I chuckled and replied, "well, I have been accused of that."
I've also been working to upgrade our science curriculum. We are adopting new textbooks and I've also been looking at several different programs to supplement what we are already doing at school. I enjoy doing curriculum work. Its fun! The problem is trying to find the time to work on it during the hustle and bustle of a regular school day.
Aubree is still practicing every weekend for her church play. The performance is in two weeks. She has her singing solos down pat, but still needs to work on her speaking parts.
We are also trying to come up with something for the science fair. Part of this weekend will be devoted to getting the science fair project up and running.
Patrick is talking non-stop about the state Special Olympics meet, which is coming up in a couple of weeks. He is already trying to negotiate spending money with me. "Souvenirs dad! I have to buy souvenirs!"
Patrick has been quite the charmer with Mystery Girl. He runs and opens doors for her. He picks out earrings for her to wear. He points out clothes in the store he thinks she should buy. "You would look great in that outfit. Of course, you make anything you wear look great!" My son, the charmer.
It looks like this weekend will also be partially devoted to painting in the new house. We have several ceilings to paint. Have I ever mentioned that I don't like painting ceilings. I never fail to end up with paint all over my face. I'll be lucky if a big dollop doesn't land right in my eye.
We got Patrick several packs of "Yugi Oh" cards for his birthday. They cost a few dollars and you never know what you're going to get in one of those packs. He was delighted to be informed that one of the cards he got was an extremely rare one. It sells for several hundred dollars online. Of course, he doesn't want to sell it. He wants to use it to win Yugi-Oh "duels." Aubree said sweetly, "Patrick, can I see that card just for a second?" He handed it over and she cackled and ran from the room yelling, "EBAY! EBAY! EBAY!" That didn't go over well with Patrick.
Life is very good but very busy!
So how is YOUR week going?
|
We have a boy who was suspended long-term from school before I got there. He keeps wanting to come back on campus to visit his friends. We keep telling him to leave and he keeps coming back. Three times he has ended up being handcuffed by security guards waiting for the police and a guardian to arrive. Three times he has received a ticket for trespassing. The last time he was on campus he was supposed to be in court on the first trespassing charge! I feel a bit sorry for him but he can't be on campus while he is suspended, banging on classroom windows, and walking up and down the halls like he owns the place. I have the strong impression that his family has no control over him at all. He just goes where he wants, when he wants. A warrant was issued for his arrest after he missed court. Sad. The last time he was brought in by the security guard I asked him, "aren't you getting a little tired of this? I personally would not want to be handcuffed." He said, "you ask way too many questions." I chuckled and replied, "well, I have been accused of that."
I've also been working to upgrade our science curriculum. We are adopting new textbooks and I've also been looking at several different programs to supplement what we are already doing at school. I enjoy doing curriculum work. Its fun! The problem is trying to find the time to work on it during the hustle and bustle of a regular school day.
Aubree is still practicing every weekend for her church play. The performance is in two weeks. She has her singing solos down pat, but still needs to work on her speaking parts.
We are also trying to come up with something for the science fair. Part of this weekend will be devoted to getting the science fair project up and running.
Patrick is talking non-stop about the state Special Olympics meet, which is coming up in a couple of weeks. He is already trying to negotiate spending money with me. "Souvenirs dad! I have to buy souvenirs!"
Patrick has been quite the charmer with Mystery Girl. He runs and opens doors for her. He picks out earrings for her to wear. He points out clothes in the store he thinks she should buy. "You would look great in that outfit. Of course, you make anything you wear look great!" My son, the charmer.
It looks like this weekend will also be partially devoted to painting in the new house. We have several ceilings to paint. Have I ever mentioned that I don't like painting ceilings. I never fail to end up with paint all over my face. I'll be lucky if a big dollop doesn't land right in my eye.
We got Patrick several packs of "Yugi Oh" cards for his birthday. They cost a few dollars and you never know what you're going to get in one of those packs. He was delighted to be informed that one of the cards he got was an extremely rare one. It sells for several hundred dollars online. Of course, he doesn't want to sell it. He wants to use it to win Yugi-Oh "duels." Aubree said sweetly, "Patrick, can I see that card just for a second?" He handed it over and she cackled and ran from the room yelling, "EBAY! EBAY! EBAY!" That didn't go over well with Patrick.
Life is very good but very busy!
So how is YOUR week going?
|