Wednesday, April 12, 2006
Midweek Meanderings
It is Wednesday and the entire week has been a blur.
The weirdest thing happened last week. For five consecutive days my boss and I came to work dressed in the exact same colors. On Monday I wore a black suit with a yellow shirt. She wore a black skirt, black jacket, yellow blouse. It was like that every day all week long. On Tuesday we were laughing about how great minds think alike. By Thursday we were saying that it had a twilight zone feel. Even the kids were noticing. One boy came up to her, looked over at me, and said, "whats up with you and Mr.....you know, the big bald guy?" I told her that if this didn't stop I would have to call her the night before and make sure we weren't wearing the same colors. We don't want people to talk.
I mentioned a few days ago that I was offered the opportunity by my district to have my doctoral studies paid for. What I didn't mention was that I had less than a week to gather all application materials, essays, letters of reference, and transcripts. This week has been a flurry of activity to get all of that done. I went over to my old school yesterday and sought out my principal, telling her I needed a letter of reference to the doctoral program. "No problem", she said. Then I told her I needed it TODAY. I came back a couple of hours later and she had a gushy, complimentary letter all typed up and ready for me.
Another requirement was that I take the G.R.E. On less than two days notice I went this afternoon and sat through the exam. I had not one scintilla of preparation or study. I had no idea what would even be on the test. I scored a 1240, with a much higher score on the verbal portion than the quantitative. Give me those antonyms and analogies any day. It wouldn't get me into Harvard Business School but I think it will suffice for this purpose. I did find myself wishing I had reviewed a little geometry before I went in. There were a lot of questions on gemoetry and I found myself struggling to remember those formulas. I haven't taken a math class in well over 20 years. I think it showed!
I'll receive the score on the written/analytical portion of the test in the next few weeks. At least I didn't have to solve any slope/intercept problems in that section.
I found this site which purports to estimate your I.Q. based on your G.R.E. scores. Pretty damned close. The bad news is that I don't qualify for MENSA. Oh well. They probably sit around and do geometry problems for fun.
Things are going mysteriously well with my mystery girl. We have enjoyed each other's company immensely and have caught up on a lot of what we didn't know about each other for the past 25 years. One of her adult sons likes dualing with light sabers, playing video games, and Yugi-Oh cards. Patrick has found a soulmate there! The other likes sports, cars, and rap music. Aubree looks at him like he's a god. Thats no mystery!
I think its safe to reveal that in my high school yearbook she called me, "a wild and crazy guy." She claims that she doesn't know why she wrote that because I was actually shy and not at all crazy. But hey....its in writing baby! Every time I think about it I remember this album playing in my room upstairs.
Aubree has been very busy designing an "egg drop" contraption with a friend of hers for science class. She is very determined that the egg will not break when it drops into her box. She gets an "A" if the egg doesn't break and a "B" if it does.
I may have some other news soon on yet another new project, but I don't want to jinx it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
I'm still trying to solve some of those geometry problems. Hypotenuse? Get outta my head. Please?
So how is YOUR week going?
|
The weirdest thing happened last week. For five consecutive days my boss and I came to work dressed in the exact same colors. On Monday I wore a black suit with a yellow shirt. She wore a black skirt, black jacket, yellow blouse. It was like that every day all week long. On Tuesday we were laughing about how great minds think alike. By Thursday we were saying that it had a twilight zone feel. Even the kids were noticing. One boy came up to her, looked over at me, and said, "whats up with you and Mr.....you know, the big bald guy?" I told her that if this didn't stop I would have to call her the night before and make sure we weren't wearing the same colors. We don't want people to talk.
I mentioned a few days ago that I was offered the opportunity by my district to have my doctoral studies paid for. What I didn't mention was that I had less than a week to gather all application materials, essays, letters of reference, and transcripts. This week has been a flurry of activity to get all of that done. I went over to my old school yesterday and sought out my principal, telling her I needed a letter of reference to the doctoral program. "No problem", she said. Then I told her I needed it TODAY. I came back a couple of hours later and she had a gushy, complimentary letter all typed up and ready for me.
Another requirement was that I take the G.R.E. On less than two days notice I went this afternoon and sat through the exam. I had not one scintilla of preparation or study. I had no idea what would even be on the test. I scored a 1240, with a much higher score on the verbal portion than the quantitative. Give me those antonyms and analogies any day. It wouldn't get me into Harvard Business School but I think it will suffice for this purpose. I did find myself wishing I had reviewed a little geometry before I went in. There were a lot of questions on gemoetry and I found myself struggling to remember those formulas. I haven't taken a math class in well over 20 years. I think it showed!
I'll receive the score on the written/analytical portion of the test in the next few weeks. At least I didn't have to solve any slope/intercept problems in that section.
I found this site which purports to estimate your I.Q. based on your G.R.E. scores. Pretty damned close. The bad news is that I don't qualify for MENSA. Oh well. They probably sit around and do geometry problems for fun.
Things are going mysteriously well with my mystery girl. We have enjoyed each other's company immensely and have caught up on a lot of what we didn't know about each other for the past 25 years. One of her adult sons likes dualing with light sabers, playing video games, and Yugi-Oh cards. Patrick has found a soulmate there! The other likes sports, cars, and rap music. Aubree looks at him like he's a god. Thats no mystery!
I think its safe to reveal that in my high school yearbook she called me, "a wild and crazy guy." She claims that she doesn't know why she wrote that because I was actually shy and not at all crazy. But hey....its in writing baby! Every time I think about it I remember this album playing in my room upstairs.
Aubree has been very busy designing an "egg drop" contraption with a friend of hers for science class. She is very determined that the egg will not break when it drops into her box. She gets an "A" if the egg doesn't break and a "B" if it does.
I may have some other news soon on yet another new project, but I don't want to jinx it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
I'm still trying to solve some of those geometry problems. Hypotenuse? Get outta my head. Please?
So how is YOUR week going?
|