Tuesday, July 26, 2005
A Picture's Story

I came across this yellowed newspaper photo in an old box. I actually found it two pieces and stuck them back together.
There is no date on that I can find, but I'd estimate it to be around 1974. Over thirty years ago. I would've been 13 years old. My brothers would've been 11, 8, and 6. I'm the one holding the cat!
On the back side of the picture a local drugstore is advertising Windsong Cologne for $2.25. A jewelry store is having a sale. A portrait studio is offering nine wallet size pictures for .99 cents. A local church is promoting a "self denial program". That must've been fun.
I remember that shirt I'm wearing. It was a reddish/maroon checkerboard pattern. The vest was maroon as well. I'm wearing jeans and they look new. For that matter, all of the jeans we're wearing look new. I'm guessing we all wore them for the first time that day. I'm sure they are Levis jeans. We always wore Levis.
My dad was running for the local school board and this picture was part of his campaign ad publicity. How could you vote against a guy with nice looking boys like that? My sister would be adopted about a year after this picture was taken. I'm a little fuzzy as to if he won this one or not. He did lose an election before he won later.
The cat I'm holding was Samantha. She was something of a regal cat. See the way she is looking at the dog? She looked at him that way all the time. She didn't hiss and get her back up. She would just look at him with disgust as if to say, "you dare enter my presence?" She could also be a very empathetic cat. One of the games we used to play was to lay down on the floor and pretend like we were crying. She would come over, purr, nuzzle you, and lick your face. She would perch herself on top of the couch and survey the scenery for hours.
Then there is Shadow, the family dog. Shadow was there for almost all of my childhood. I can't remember a time when he wasn't around. I ran in the yard with him as a first grader and was still doing it when I was in high school. He was part cocker spaniel, part something else, and had gorgeous shiny black fur. Leash laws weren't as strict then, and Shadow just ran the neighborhood with us. He went with me to the park. He followed me as I rode my bike up and down the streets. He was aggressive enough for boys to play with a little roughly but gentle enough not to hurt anyone. He did get in his share of mischief. It would've been right around this time that he yanked a Dairy Queen coney right out of my youngest brother's hands in the backyard. He ran behind some bushes and gobbled it down while my brother stood crying with nothing but splotches of chili in his hands. He got older and finally became contrary. He lost most of his earing and loud sounds would startle and anger him. My dad was talking to a neighbor one day and a train whistle blew. Shadow turned and bit the guy on the leg. After that he had to be leashed and chained to a tree. It was sad.
Its amazing how a picture can capture the essence of people. This picture shows a lot of the personalities that we had. There is me, the oldest, thoughtful and reflective, looking down. My brother Scott, wide eyed, creative and artistic. My brother Matt (on my right), the youngest, showing that mischievous grin that we would all see so many times. My brother Kerry (on my left), showing that gregarious smile and winning personality.
You've gotta love the hairstyles. I'm thinking that it looks like we could all stand up and start singing "I Want To Hold Your Hand." At this age we were still getting our hair cut by the local barber. Anyone remember what a real barbershop looked and smelled like? Aftershave. Old men sitting around and telling tales. A big plastic bin of bubble gum sitting behind the counter. The barber wielding a straight razor like an artist's brush.
This picture was taken in the living room of our house. We had a formal living and dining room that was generally off limits to the ruffian boys of the house. We weren't allowed to sit in the living room unless company was there to visit. I always felt like I was getting away with something if I passed through there and sat down on the couch for a couple of minutes. It was always spotless, free of the chaos that a houseful of boys can bring. Immaculate. Ever so formal. Nothing out of place. Right behind me there would be a large white ceramic cat. It got broken one day when SOMEONE was horsing around in there when they weren't supposed to. My dad glued it back together.
Its amazing the tales that one picture can tell.
|