<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Back To The Island 


Its been awhile since I've written a music post, so I thought I'd write about one of my favorite all-time musicians. The lovely Thomai thinks my taste in tunes is cheesy, but I do love me some music! In my world, it doesn't get much better than Leon Russell.

I've been a fan of Leon since I was a teenager. I grew up listening to Tulsa's rock station KMOD, aka the "Rainbow Station". One of their signatures was a snippet of Leon singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". I loved it.

My best estimate is that I've seen Leon Russell in concert six times. I've seen no one else more than twice. What is it about this guy's music that draws me back time after time? I've seen him perform in the historic Brady Theater (second row seats for that one!) I've seen him outdoors at a couple of festivals. I saw him in Cain's Ballroom. I caught his act at New Orleans' House of Blues. Every show was a little bit different, and every one has some memories for me.

He defies descriptions and labels. Leon has recorded bestselling pop albums and a couple of classic country albums (under the persona "Hank Wilson"). His music has elements of rock, jazz, the blues, gospel, R &B, and country. He is perhaps the only singer I can think of who can belt out "Jumpin Jack Flash", follow it with "Rollin In My Sweet Baby's Arms", croon "This Masquerade" and have them all sound totally like his style.

Interesting tidbits about Leon:
  1. As a teenager he toured with Jerry Lee Lewis.
  2. You can hear him playing keyboard on Jan and Dean's "Surf City" and on the Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" album.
  3. George Harrison played guitar on Leon's first solo album.
  4. He played on a number of producer Phil Spector's albums.
  5. He performed on recordings by Bob Dylan, Sam Cooke, The Rolling Stones, Ike and Tina Turner, Frank Sinatra, B.B. King, and The Byrds.
  6. Elton John, Charlie Daniels, and ZZ Top were once HIS opening acts.
  7. His tours with Willie Nelson were regarded as helping bridge the gap between "hippies and rednecks".
  8. "Superstar" (The Carpenters), "This Masquerade" (George Benson), and "Delta Lady" (Joe Cocker) were songs written by Leon.
  9. At the height of his pop career he switched gears and recorded several country albums under the persona "Hank Wilson".
Some of my favorite songs? I think the evocative, hauntingly beautiful "A Song For You" is one of the best love songs ever produced. I love the keyboard solo at the beginning and in the middle of the song. My friends, this is a song for lovers.

I know your image of me is what I hope to be ----- but darlin can'’t you see.
There's no one more important to me
Darling, can't you please see through me?
Cause we're alone now and I'm singing this song to you

You taught me precious secrets of truth, withholding nothing
You came out in front and I was hiding
But now I'm so much better and if my words don't come together
Listen to my melodies because my love is in there hiding

But I love you in a place where there'’s no space and time.
I love you for my life, you are a friend of mine.
And when my life is over, remember when we were together
We were alone and now we'’re singing this song for you

The rollicking "Home Sweet Oklahoma" is a song I've listened to a lot in the last year. I didn't leave to seek fame and fortune like Leon did, but I did leave to chase a dream. I was chasing love and happiness, not all that different from what Leon was looking for. I just waited till I was a little older to roll the dice. Like him, I came back, and the lyrics make me smile. Leon is telling my story.

When I was young man, barely 17
I went out to Hollywood to chase my dream
Dusty Oklahoma was all I'd ever seen
And I was getting older

The memories of the Greyhound would fade and quickly pass
In the lonely restaurant windows, the empty hourglass
Reflects the human hunger for the questions never asked
I only had my time suspending

Now I'’m going back to Tulsa just one more time
Now I'’m going on down to Tulsa just one more time
Now I'’m going back to Tulsa just one more time
I'’ve got home sweet Oklahoma on my mind

"The human hunger for the questions never asked"....I love that line.

I've always loved "Magic Mirror", a fun look at how we tend to perceive others and are unable to see how they see us.

To the thieves I'’m a bandit, the mothers think I'm their son
To the preachers I'’m a sinner. Lord, I'm not the only one.
To the sad ones I'm unhappy, to the losers I'’m a fool.
With the students I'’m a teacher, to the teachers I'’m in school.

To the hobos I'’m imprisoned by everything I own.
To the solder I'’m just someone else who's dying to go home.
A general sees a number, the politicians too.
To my friends I'’m just an equal in this world.

Magic mirror, won't you tell me please. Do I find myself in anyone I see?
Magic mirror, if we only could, try to see ourselves as others would.

The wistful "Back To the Island"......well, I could've written it myself if I had Leon's talent.

Now the day is gone and I sit alone and think of you, girl
What can I do without you in my life?
I guess that our good thing just had to end that way
The hardest one to lose of all the games we played

But the time is past for living in a dream world
Lying to myself can't make that scene
Of wondering if you love me or just making a fool of me
Well I hope you understand I just had to go back to the island

I also enjoy singing along with "Lady Blue", "Stranger in a Strange Land", "Roll Away The Stone", "Ballad For a Soldier", "Crystal Closet Queen", "This Masquerade" and "Tightrope".

I find it fascinating how music is such a big part of so many of our lives. I can listen to Leon and feel such a range of emotions.....playful, wistful, sad, mischievous, jovial, and energetic. I can close my eyes and play the air keyboard on "A Song For You" and I'm in a different place. I can pound the steering wheel to "Tightrope" and feel like a boy again, ready to run away and join the circus. I cue up "Home Sweet Oklahoma" and consider what a journey this life has been. I listen to "Back To The Island" and think about the importance of letting go. I can let "This Masquerade" wash over me and ponder the meaning of life.

Hey Leon? You'll never read this, but thanks for the memories dude. You've made my life on this planet just a little bit richer.

(Update: If you're curious, you can listen to snippets of Leon's songs here and here from Amazon)


|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?