<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, June 13, 2005

They Say Its Your Birthday 

My birthday is June 15th (same day as Vickies...I knew there was a reason I liked her!). Coincidentally, this also is my last day of work before I digress into summer idleness. I'm planning no celebrations, even though my mom mentioned having a combination my birthday/Dad's birthday/Father's Day shindig of some kind.

So what have I learned in the last year? Has it really been a year? My last birthday party was a bittersweet one. My life has changed so much since then. I've changed so much since then. I don't know if there has ever been a span like this in my life where so many things have changed in one year. A year can be like a lifetime when everything is changing and moving.

I was re-reading last year's birthday post. I glanced through the comments and saw some familiar names: Ellen, Dawn, Phyllis, Mary Lou, Brenda, Joel, Leslie, Shelli, Flax, Faith, Kim, Sweety and a couple of others that have since departed the blogging world. Has it really been a year? You guys made it through this year with me. They were here when I was at my very lowest and they are still hanging around today. I love y'all and all the friends I've made since then.

I'm 44 years old on that day. I remember being a young boy and wondering what the world would be like at the turn of the century. Now here I am at middle age. I drive the same streets I used to bicycle on with my friends. I drive past the schools I attended. I run into my middle aged classmates at the supermarket. I could've have imagined then the life I've led. I couldn't have foreseen the successes I've had or the bitter disappointments I've endured. I probably can't foresee the ones I'll experience in the coming years either.

A birthday is a milestone and a celebration of yet another year alive on this planet. As Elton John would croon, "I'm Still Standing". I've made it through the worst. I have a good job, a wonderful family, kids I adore, and fantastic friends. I've had many experiences in the last year that I wouldn't trade for anything. Reunions with old friends. Meetings with new ones. Priceless moments at home and work. Quiet times of lonely desperation. Tender moments that make me want more.

So what do I want for my birthday this year? An IPOD? Oh yeah. A digital camera? For sure. Some good summer reading? Absolutely. Drakkar cologne? Uh huh. Some cool new music? I wouldn't complain a bit.

But the things I really want can't be found in stores or ordered online. I want my kids to be happy, settled, and optimistic about our lives. I want to continue to improve in my professional life and live up to all of my potential. I want good health for my family and friends. I want to experience new things, meet new people, and explore new places. I want to grow as a man and become everything I can be. I want to straighten out my financial situation and remove that source of stress. I want to move out of survival mode and embrace life and all it has to offer. I want to love and be loved. I want to trust and be trusted. I want peace.

I'm optimistic. I'm looking forward. I'm ready for the next year. Line those candles up...I'm ready to blow out all 44 of those puppies!

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?