Thursday, October 21, 2004
More assessing to be done
I do believe I have a little bit of stage fright here!
OK. So I took Brian’s idea of assessing one’s life skills and decided to think about it for myself. Why not? It's his blog. I really tried to do this objectively without letting my current emotions shadow the big picture. This is a tough exercise!
Caring: To feel and show concern for others. I’ve always thought of myself as a very caring and warm person. I’m usually highly attuned to the emotions of others, almost like being an “emotional barometer” if you will. I would do anything to be there for people, to listen to them and feel their pain. Seeing people treat others with inhumanity or meanness is hard for me. I don’t understand how some people can be so “hard hearted.” I do have my moments, of course, of pure self-centeredness and turning away when I could really help. I give myself an 8.
Common Sense: To use good judgment. Aha! Here is a good one. I have always prided myself on my sturdy common sense. For the most part, I have always had a level head on my shoulders. There are certain areas where I have a profound lack of good judgment, however. I give myself a 7.
Cooperation: To work together toward a common goal or purpose. I’m not always so good with this one. It depends on the context. I am very easy-going in the sense I can get along with just about anybody and I have a way of smoothing conflict between people. I’m a peace keeper. However, I also have an independent and stubborn streak. I don’t like it when people tell me what to do. As a child, I was insistent on getting Happy Meals at McDonald’s and nowhere else! So my mom would go through the drive through, get the Happy Meal, and then take us to where she wanted to eat. I would say the older I get the more I have mellowed in this area – willing to accept and think about alternative points of view. I give myself a 5.
Courage: To act according to one's beliefs despite fear of consequences. This one is a bit touchy. I honestly am not very good about asserting my beliefs or feelings. It is an exercise for me to speak out. I am getting better about this, though, the more I realize I don’t care what people think. I am more the personality type that would influence things behind the scenes and assert myself there. There are definitely some topics, though, that I have no fear whatsoever in letting my opinions be heard (like religion). And I guess if I looked at in another context, I have done some courageous things in my life. Moving myself to Seattle after college graduation. Getting out of relationships that were unhealthy. That kind of stuff. I give myself a 5.
Curiosity: A desire to investigate and seek understanding of one's world. I am really good at this one. I am forever curious about people, about the world around me, about learning anything new. Unless my mind is learning something, I am entirely bored. I am continually researching and looking into finding answers to questions I have. I give myself a 9.
Effort: To do your best. It depends on the situation. If I am bored (like at work) or underutilized I don’t really give it my best effort. If something really excites me, however, there is no stopping me. I would say as a part of my character, though, that I value integrity and I try to be the best person I can. I am continually making an effort to improve myself or the world around me. I give myself a 7.
Flexibility: To be willing to alter plans when necessary. I would like to think I am pretty good at this one, but I’m just not. I would say I am bipolar with my flexibility! Sometimes I can be very flexible and others I am just stubborn. I like to have my routine, to know what plans are ahead of time, etc. I am also pretty easy-going when it comes to changing plans – like deciding where to eat out or taking a spontaneous, unplanned road trip. I have recently thought about changing my blog template and I just…couldn’t…do it. I kept clicking the little preview button and thinking ~ “but it’s not my blog!” I just couldn’t get used to it. Sigh. A miserable 4 on this one.
Friendship: To make and keep a friend through mutual trust and caring. I am very good at friendship once I get past the walls and let someone in. It’s the initial making friends that is the hard part. I’ve been burned so much by this in my life I kind of have a “duck and run” mentality. Protect myself first. I am also admittedly insecure at times about the people I *do* trust. I have always preferred a small group of very close friends as opposed to a larger group of acquaintances. In a friendship, though, I am so there. I am good at listening. I would do just about anything for my friends. I hold and guard closely those confidences that friends make and it means so much when they trust me. I’ll do a 7.
Initiative: To do something because it needs to be done. This is an area of my life that my uncle has been working with me on since 1996! And I have to say I am proud of my improvement since that time. I am getting better at initiating in relationships, even being downright flirty (!) and at being proactive in my personal life. At work, I am incredible at initiating. I am always the one who finds things that need to be fixed and darn it, I find a way to do it! I’ll give myself an 8, just because.
Integrity: To act according to a sense of what’s right and wrong. I would say I have a high level of integrity. I don’t profess to know what is “right” for everyone, but I know what is right for me and I act on it. I try my best to present to people the “whole me” and not to show one face only to betray them with another. Integrity is an integral part of my life. I have done some things I’m not proud of, so it’s an 8.
Organization: To plan, arrange, and implement in an orderly way, to keep things orderly and ready to use. For the most part, I am fairly organized. When it comes to the details, no way. I can be organized at work with my files, but when I come home I can’t STAND to file my bills and papers in an orderly manner! I would rather be spending my time somewhere else. Eh, I’ll give it a 6.
Patience: To wait calmly for someone or something. Horrible at this one. Really horrible. I have a problem with waiting. When I want something, I want it now. If I have an idea, I act on it. I have been known to get steamed just waiting in line at the grocery store. Being impatient is a problem when it comes to relationships ~ which take time ~ or trying to make my life better, whatever it is (work, family, where I live). An abysmal 3 on this one.
Perseverance: To keep at it. If there is one valuable gift my dad instilled in me, it is perseverance. I can endure about everything. I have this uncanny ability to focus and push on through. I remember once in college doing a ropes course and everyone was surprised to see little Jen just scamper up that wall despite her fear. A glowing 9 (if I don’t say so myself!).
Pride: Satisfaction from doing one's best. I don’t really know how to assess myself on this one. Sure, I’m mostly proud of who I am and where I came from. I’m not so proud of the fact that I haven’t pushed my writing as much as I could. I don’t know. A 7.
Problem Solving: To create solutions for difficult situations and everyday problems. I love problem solving. When my mind is munching away looking for solutions. Maybe that’s my problem, I’ve been doing too much thinking! An 8, why not?
Resourcefulness: To respond to challenges and opportunities in innovative and creative ways. I’m OK with this. I’m usually pretty good at coming up with creative solutions to problems. To thinking of new ways to solve whatever is wrong. Let’s try a 6.
Responsibility: To respond when appropriate, to be accountable for one's actions. Oh, dear. I think I was born responsible. Sometimes I think I’m a nerd because of how responsible I can be! I’ve never had a problem with owning up to my mistakes. I remember once when I was in the seventh grade and I was at a family pool party, given the task of watching this little four year-old girl. Well, I guess I decided it would be more fun to start diving off the diving board. The child’s mother screamed and jumped in the pool and I looked with horror to see the little girl underwater, struggling. I still feel guilt over that one, at the thought that she could have died because I wasn’t watching her. That is the kind of experience that makes me want to be as responsible as I can. How about a 7.
Sense of Humor: To laugh and be playful without harming others. I would say I can usually see humor in many things. I’m amazed at how many times I’ve been in a bad mood and someone makes me laugh and it’s like the skies clear. It’s so powerful. I’ll give this one a 7 as well, because sometimes I also take things too seriously.
I’m seriously exhausted from doing this! I don’t think I have the patience of Brian. But my perseverance made me complete it. I think that we are all a composite of our flaws and our strengths and while we may work hard to overcome our weaknesses, those are things that make us interesting and unique.
|
OK. So I took Brian’s idea of assessing one’s life skills and decided to think about it for myself. Why not? It's his blog. I really tried to do this objectively without letting my current emotions shadow the big picture. This is a tough exercise!
Caring: To feel and show concern for others. I’ve always thought of myself as a very caring and warm person. I’m usually highly attuned to the emotions of others, almost like being an “emotional barometer” if you will. I would do anything to be there for people, to listen to them and feel their pain. Seeing people treat others with inhumanity or meanness is hard for me. I don’t understand how some people can be so “hard hearted.” I do have my moments, of course, of pure self-centeredness and turning away when I could really help. I give myself an 8.
Common Sense: To use good judgment. Aha! Here is a good one. I have always prided myself on my sturdy common sense. For the most part, I have always had a level head on my shoulders. There are certain areas where I have a profound lack of good judgment, however. I give myself a 7.
Cooperation: To work together toward a common goal or purpose. I’m not always so good with this one. It depends on the context. I am very easy-going in the sense I can get along with just about anybody and I have a way of smoothing conflict between people. I’m a peace keeper. However, I also have an independent and stubborn streak. I don’t like it when people tell me what to do. As a child, I was insistent on getting Happy Meals at McDonald’s and nowhere else! So my mom would go through the drive through, get the Happy Meal, and then take us to where she wanted to eat. I would say the older I get the more I have mellowed in this area – willing to accept and think about alternative points of view. I give myself a 5.
Courage: To act according to one's beliefs despite fear of consequences. This one is a bit touchy. I honestly am not very good about asserting my beliefs or feelings. It is an exercise for me to speak out. I am getting better about this, though, the more I realize I don’t care what people think. I am more the personality type that would influence things behind the scenes and assert myself there. There are definitely some topics, though, that I have no fear whatsoever in letting my opinions be heard (like religion). And I guess if I looked at in another context, I have done some courageous things in my life. Moving myself to Seattle after college graduation. Getting out of relationships that were unhealthy. That kind of stuff. I give myself a 5.
Curiosity: A desire to investigate and seek understanding of one's world. I am really good at this one. I am forever curious about people, about the world around me, about learning anything new. Unless my mind is learning something, I am entirely bored. I am continually researching and looking into finding answers to questions I have. I give myself a 9.
Effort: To do your best. It depends on the situation. If I am bored (like at work) or underutilized I don’t really give it my best effort. If something really excites me, however, there is no stopping me. I would say as a part of my character, though, that I value integrity and I try to be the best person I can. I am continually making an effort to improve myself or the world around me. I give myself a 7.
Flexibility: To be willing to alter plans when necessary. I would like to think I am pretty good at this one, but I’m just not. I would say I am bipolar with my flexibility! Sometimes I can be very flexible and others I am just stubborn. I like to have my routine, to know what plans are ahead of time, etc. I am also pretty easy-going when it comes to changing plans – like deciding where to eat out or taking a spontaneous, unplanned road trip. I have recently thought about changing my blog template and I just…couldn’t…do it. I kept clicking the little preview button and thinking ~ “but it’s not my blog!” I just couldn’t get used to it. Sigh. A miserable 4 on this one.
Friendship: To make and keep a friend through mutual trust and caring. I am very good at friendship once I get past the walls and let someone in. It’s the initial making friends that is the hard part. I’ve been burned so much by this in my life I kind of have a “duck and run” mentality. Protect myself first. I am also admittedly insecure at times about the people I *do* trust. I have always preferred a small group of very close friends as opposed to a larger group of acquaintances. In a friendship, though, I am so there. I am good at listening. I would do just about anything for my friends. I hold and guard closely those confidences that friends make and it means so much when they trust me. I’ll do a 7.
Initiative: To do something because it needs to be done. This is an area of my life that my uncle has been working with me on since 1996! And I have to say I am proud of my improvement since that time. I am getting better at initiating in relationships, even being downright flirty (!) and at being proactive in my personal life. At work, I am incredible at initiating. I am always the one who finds things that need to be fixed and darn it, I find a way to do it! I’ll give myself an 8, just because.
Integrity: To act according to a sense of what’s right and wrong. I would say I have a high level of integrity. I don’t profess to know what is “right” for everyone, but I know what is right for me and I act on it. I try my best to present to people the “whole me” and not to show one face only to betray them with another. Integrity is an integral part of my life. I have done some things I’m not proud of, so it’s an 8.
Organization: To plan, arrange, and implement in an orderly way, to keep things orderly and ready to use. For the most part, I am fairly organized. When it comes to the details, no way. I can be organized at work with my files, but when I come home I can’t STAND to file my bills and papers in an orderly manner! I would rather be spending my time somewhere else. Eh, I’ll give it a 6.
Patience: To wait calmly for someone or something. Horrible at this one. Really horrible. I have a problem with waiting. When I want something, I want it now. If I have an idea, I act on it. I have been known to get steamed just waiting in line at the grocery store. Being impatient is a problem when it comes to relationships ~ which take time ~ or trying to make my life better, whatever it is (work, family, where I live). An abysmal 3 on this one.
Perseverance: To keep at it. If there is one valuable gift my dad instilled in me, it is perseverance. I can endure about everything. I have this uncanny ability to focus and push on through. I remember once in college doing a ropes course and everyone was surprised to see little Jen just scamper up that wall despite her fear. A glowing 9 (if I don’t say so myself!).
Pride: Satisfaction from doing one's best. I don’t really know how to assess myself on this one. Sure, I’m mostly proud of who I am and where I came from. I’m not so proud of the fact that I haven’t pushed my writing as much as I could. I don’t know. A 7.
Problem Solving: To create solutions for difficult situations and everyday problems. I love problem solving. When my mind is munching away looking for solutions. Maybe that’s my problem, I’ve been doing too much thinking! An 8, why not?
Resourcefulness: To respond to challenges and opportunities in innovative and creative ways. I’m OK with this. I’m usually pretty good at coming up with creative solutions to problems. To thinking of new ways to solve whatever is wrong. Let’s try a 6.
Responsibility: To respond when appropriate, to be accountable for one's actions. Oh, dear. I think I was born responsible. Sometimes I think I’m a nerd because of how responsible I can be! I’ve never had a problem with owning up to my mistakes. I remember once when I was in the seventh grade and I was at a family pool party, given the task of watching this little four year-old girl. Well, I guess I decided it would be more fun to start diving off the diving board. The child’s mother screamed and jumped in the pool and I looked with horror to see the little girl underwater, struggling. I still feel guilt over that one, at the thought that she could have died because I wasn’t watching her. That is the kind of experience that makes me want to be as responsible as I can. How about a 7.
Sense of Humor: To laugh and be playful without harming others. I would say I can usually see humor in many things. I’m amazed at how many times I’ve been in a bad mood and someone makes me laugh and it’s like the skies clear. It’s so powerful. I’ll give this one a 7 as well, because sometimes I also take things too seriously.
I’m seriously exhausted from doing this! I don’t think I have the patience of Brian. But my perseverance made me complete it. I think that we are all a composite of our flaws and our strengths and while we may work hard to overcome our weaknesses, those are things that make us interesting and unique.
|