Monday, October 18, 2004
Life Skills
My school system has long adopted a character education program that involves the teaching of "life skills" and the integration of those skills into the curriculum. Everywhere you look in my school you will see these skills posted. They are posted in the office and in every classroom. We ask students to use these skills to improve themselves and become good citizens. I was looking at a bulletin board in the main hallway today and wondered how I measure up in the use of these skills. After all, we are all lifelong learners aren't we? I decided to rate myself 1-10 in these areas:
Caring: To feel and show concern for others. I'm glad we started with this one. I think that almost everyone who knows me thinks of me as a caring person. I've been called a "sap" on more than one occasion. The condition of others tends to weigh on my mind a great deal. Of course, I've some less-than-great decisions out of this caring. But I can't imagine being any other way. I give myself a 9.
Common Sense: To use good judgement. Oh boy. I seem to have a great deal of common sense when other people's problems are in question. But my own? I tend to let my heart get way ahead of my brain. I tend to let desires get ahead of good judgement. Sometimes I'm amazed that someone with my education and temperament can do some of the stupid things I do. I'm a dreamer and a romantic, and my type tends to lack a little in this area. The women in my life could give testament to this. I give myself a 5.
Cooperation: To work together toward a common goal or purpose. Ok, I'm back in my territory here. I've worked collegially with people on so many projects I've lost count. I think a survey of all my past co-workers would reveal that I'm one of the all-time easiest people to work with. I listen to and respect other people's points of view. My general demeanor is to avoid confrontation when possible and to work toward consensus. My rating? An 8.
Courage: To act according to one's beliefs despite fear of consequences. There are times in my life when I wish I'd been more courageous. My tendency to let things slide is not always a good thing! But I also have a strong sense of loyalty and a hatred of injustice which has forced me to stand up for myself or others. If I'm sure that I'm right, I'm difficult to dissuade. I do know this...I'd willingly give my life in a heartbeat for those I love. Its a mixed bag here...I give myself a 7. I wish it was higher.
Curiousity: A desire to investigate and seek understanding of one's world. I'm an inveterate reader...I suck in things and soak them up like a sponge. My interests range from history to science...technology to literature. I always want to know more and understand more. I give myself a 9.
Effort: To do your best. Umm..this one is hard. What are we talking about here? In my job I give it my all. I work hard and hate the feeling of something not being done right. I feel guilty when I don't. But in other areas I tend to pick and choose. Is it something I'm motivated about? I'm all over that. Other more difficult tasks? Sometimes I just skate by. That is regrettable and I wish I could more consistent. Patrick wears me out sometimes and I wish I gave more effort to helping him grow. My effort there is mixed and is something I want to change. Give me a project to complete and a deadline? I'll work day and night. I worked almost solidly for two straight days to get a PowerPoint presentation ready for a funeral of one of my students last year. Once again, a mixed bag and a grade of 6.
Flexibility: To be willing to alter plans when necessary. You can't do what I do for a living and not be flexible. The ground is constantly shifting underneath my feet. I think that this goes to the "cooperation" discussed above. But I do have this stubborn streak that can get in the way sometimes. Looks like a 7 to me.
Friendship: To make and keep a friend through mutual trust and caring. I can't be too great here. How many friends do I really have? There is my family and that small circle that I love. There are acquaintances. But there are few friends. I either let people all the way in or I keep them the hell out. I've got the caring part but that mutual trust thing is so hard for me. If you trust someone you can get burned. I wish so much that I was better in this area but I can't rate myself better than a 5.
Initiative: To do something because it needs to be done. Ok, that sound you hear is me shifting in my seat uncomfortably. At work? I grab the bull by the horns and get things done. In my personal life? I let things slide that need to be done. I had projects at my house in Washington that I let slide way too long. I'm a procrastinator who seems to need deadlines. Left on my own it will always be, "I'll take care of that later". Damnit, my rating is another 5.
Integrity: To act according to a sense of whats right and wrong. I think I do have strong ideas about right and wrong. Most of the time I act on those ideas. Some of them may not be "traditional", but they are what I believe in. Toss in a few failings here and there and give me a 7.
Organization: To plan, arrange, and implement in an orderly way, to keep things orderly and ready to use. My desk is usually a mess but my computer files are neat and orderly. I can tell you where things are most of the time, but you wouldn't know it by looking at my room or my office. No better than a 6.5 here.
Patience: To wait calmly for someone or something. Generally, I'm pretty good here. Of course there are those slow people at the supermarket and those maddening drivers! If it is something that I really want, you may occasionally detect signs of impatience. But overall? I'm willing to wait. Gimme an 8.
Perseverance: To keep at it. My answer would be closely related to the earlier one on effort. If its something I'm excited about I will keep at it till the bitter end. If I'm not? I'm the one slipping out the side door. When I was trying to network my home computers with four different operating systems I stayed up ...literally all night. I just couldn't stop. A lot of this also has to do with knowledge and competence. If I know that I can do it I'm willing to put forth the effort. If I'm unsure, I'm likely to bag it. I'll take a 6.
Pride: Satisfaction from doing one's best. Oh yeah, I've got a lot of pride...probably more than I really want to admit. I get a great deal of internal satisfaction out of doing something right. When I do a good job at work, I'm proud. When I do something right with the kids I get that "proud parent" feeling. When I got my wife a gift she didn't expect and was thrilled with I was immensely proud of myself. I'll take a 9.
Problem Solving: To create solutions for difficult situations and everyday problems. Sigh. I've had to deal recently with what is one of the most difficult things a person can face...the loss of someone you truly love. My record in dealing with that is decidedly mixed. Sometimes I think I'm doing well and other times I feel utter despair. Day to day problems? A mixed record. Once again, better in my professional life than in my personal one. My rating? A 7.
Resourcefulness: To respond to challenges and opportunities in innovative and creative ways. When my back is against the wall I usually manage to come up with ways to solve the problem. I can be very creative and non-traditional in my thinking when I need to be. I'll take an 8 here.
Responsibility: To respond when appropriate, to be accountable for one's actions. Some of my creditors would probably tell you that I haven't always been responsible. A combination of circumstances, judgement, and personal failings have led me to not be the greatest manager of money in the world. I should write a longer post on this sometime. However, I adopted my two children and have never wavered in my dedication to parent them. I'm also highly responsible in my work. That raises my score from the paltry to a still unimpressive 6.
Sense of Humor: To laugh and be playful without harming others. I have a dry, sardonic sense of humor that most people tend to respond to. I may not be the life of the party but I can usually make people laugh. I also have no problem in laughing at myself. I fell down while playing 4-square at lunch and all the kids laughed. I don't think any of them laughed any harder than I did. I even offered to re-enact it and asked them to give me a "diving score". I'll take a 9 here.
I can celebrate my strengths and resolve to strenghten my weaknesses. Thats what life is about isn't it? The constant striving to do better....to be a better person. Adversity can be such a great teacher. Perhaps I should let it teach me now.
|
Caring: To feel and show concern for others. I'm glad we started with this one. I think that almost everyone who knows me thinks of me as a caring person. I've been called a "sap" on more than one occasion. The condition of others tends to weigh on my mind a great deal. Of course, I've some less-than-great decisions out of this caring. But I can't imagine being any other way. I give myself a 9.
Common Sense: To use good judgement. Oh boy. I seem to have a great deal of common sense when other people's problems are in question. But my own? I tend to let my heart get way ahead of my brain. I tend to let desires get ahead of good judgement. Sometimes I'm amazed that someone with my education and temperament can do some of the stupid things I do. I'm a dreamer and a romantic, and my type tends to lack a little in this area. The women in my life could give testament to this. I give myself a 5.
Cooperation: To work together toward a common goal or purpose. Ok, I'm back in my territory here. I've worked collegially with people on so many projects I've lost count. I think a survey of all my past co-workers would reveal that I'm one of the all-time easiest people to work with. I listen to and respect other people's points of view. My general demeanor is to avoid confrontation when possible and to work toward consensus. My rating? An 8.
Courage: To act according to one's beliefs despite fear of consequences. There are times in my life when I wish I'd been more courageous. My tendency to let things slide is not always a good thing! But I also have a strong sense of loyalty and a hatred of injustice which has forced me to stand up for myself or others. If I'm sure that I'm right, I'm difficult to dissuade. I do know this...I'd willingly give my life in a heartbeat for those I love. Its a mixed bag here...I give myself a 7. I wish it was higher.
Curiousity: A desire to investigate and seek understanding of one's world. I'm an inveterate reader...I suck in things and soak them up like a sponge. My interests range from history to science...technology to literature. I always want to know more and understand more. I give myself a 9.
Effort: To do your best. Umm..this one is hard. What are we talking about here? In my job I give it my all. I work hard and hate the feeling of something not being done right. I feel guilty when I don't. But in other areas I tend to pick and choose. Is it something I'm motivated about? I'm all over that. Other more difficult tasks? Sometimes I just skate by. That is regrettable and I wish I could more consistent. Patrick wears me out sometimes and I wish I gave more effort to helping him grow. My effort there is mixed and is something I want to change. Give me a project to complete and a deadline? I'll work day and night. I worked almost solidly for two straight days to get a PowerPoint presentation ready for a funeral of one of my students last year. Once again, a mixed bag and a grade of 6.
Flexibility: To be willing to alter plans when necessary. You can't do what I do for a living and not be flexible. The ground is constantly shifting underneath my feet. I think that this goes to the "cooperation" discussed above. But I do have this stubborn streak that can get in the way sometimes. Looks like a 7 to me.
Friendship: To make and keep a friend through mutual trust and caring. I can't be too great here. How many friends do I really have? There is my family and that small circle that I love. There are acquaintances. But there are few friends. I either let people all the way in or I keep them the hell out. I've got the caring part but that mutual trust thing is so hard for me. If you trust someone you can get burned. I wish so much that I was better in this area but I can't rate myself better than a 5.
Initiative: To do something because it needs to be done. Ok, that sound you hear is me shifting in my seat uncomfortably. At work? I grab the bull by the horns and get things done. In my personal life? I let things slide that need to be done. I had projects at my house in Washington that I let slide way too long. I'm a procrastinator who seems to need deadlines. Left on my own it will always be, "I'll take care of that later". Damnit, my rating is another 5.
Integrity: To act according to a sense of whats right and wrong. I think I do have strong ideas about right and wrong. Most of the time I act on those ideas. Some of them may not be "traditional", but they are what I believe in. Toss in a few failings here and there and give me a 7.
Organization: To plan, arrange, and implement in an orderly way, to keep things orderly and ready to use. My desk is usually a mess but my computer files are neat and orderly. I can tell you where things are most of the time, but you wouldn't know it by looking at my room or my office. No better than a 6.5 here.
Patience: To wait calmly for someone or something. Generally, I'm pretty good here. Of course there are those slow people at the supermarket and those maddening drivers! If it is something that I really want, you may occasionally detect signs of impatience. But overall? I'm willing to wait. Gimme an 8.
Perseverance: To keep at it. My answer would be closely related to the earlier one on effort. If its something I'm excited about I will keep at it till the bitter end. If I'm not? I'm the one slipping out the side door. When I was trying to network my home computers with four different operating systems I stayed up ...literally all night. I just couldn't stop. A lot of this also has to do with knowledge and competence. If I know that I can do it I'm willing to put forth the effort. If I'm unsure, I'm likely to bag it. I'll take a 6.
Pride: Satisfaction from doing one's best. Oh yeah, I've got a lot of pride...probably more than I really want to admit. I get a great deal of internal satisfaction out of doing something right. When I do a good job at work, I'm proud. When I do something right with the kids I get that "proud parent" feeling. When I got my wife a gift she didn't expect and was thrilled with I was immensely proud of myself. I'll take a 9.
Problem Solving: To create solutions for difficult situations and everyday problems. Sigh. I've had to deal recently with what is one of the most difficult things a person can face...the loss of someone you truly love. My record in dealing with that is decidedly mixed. Sometimes I think I'm doing well and other times I feel utter despair. Day to day problems? A mixed record. Once again, better in my professional life than in my personal one. My rating? A 7.
Resourcefulness: To respond to challenges and opportunities in innovative and creative ways. When my back is against the wall I usually manage to come up with ways to solve the problem. I can be very creative and non-traditional in my thinking when I need to be. I'll take an 8 here.
Responsibility: To respond when appropriate, to be accountable for one's actions. Some of my creditors would probably tell you that I haven't always been responsible. A combination of circumstances, judgement, and personal failings have led me to not be the greatest manager of money in the world. I should write a longer post on this sometime. However, I adopted my two children and have never wavered in my dedication to parent them. I'm also highly responsible in my work. That raises my score from the paltry to a still unimpressive 6.
Sense of Humor: To laugh and be playful without harming others. I have a dry, sardonic sense of humor that most people tend to respond to. I may not be the life of the party but I can usually make people laugh. I also have no problem in laughing at myself. I fell down while playing 4-square at lunch and all the kids laughed. I don't think any of them laughed any harder than I did. I even offered to re-enact it and asked them to give me a "diving score". I'll take a 9 here.
I can celebrate my strengths and resolve to strenghten my weaknesses. Thats what life is about isn't it? The constant striving to do better....to be a better person. Adversity can be such a great teacher. Perhaps I should let it teach me now.
|