Saturday, June 26, 2004
You Don't Have To Call Me "Darlin", "Darlin"
Staff at a UK opera company have been advised not to use the theatrical greeting "darling" while at work.
The English National Opera confirmed they had issued staff new guidelines on using the term of endearment.
They fear use of the word "darling" could constitute sexual harassment in the workplace.
Whats the world of theater without the "Dahlin" and the obligatory peck on each cheek?
Having spent most of my life in the South, I can't tell you how many times I've been called darlin. Waitresses, coworkers, or just plain acquaintances toss it out there in the same vein as, "hey bud". I'm fairly certain that the huge majority of these women didn't exactly have designs on my body. Is it flirtatious, harassment, a term of endearment, or just a cultural thing? Its a good thing all those southern girls don't work for the British opera company!
I don't normally use the term with women I don't know. But I make fairly regular use of the word "hon". Sometimes it just slips in there without me even thinking about it. I've never had an occasion where anyone took it in a way other than it was intended.
I think sexual harassment in the workplace is a terrible thing for anyone to have to endure. I'm glad that there are laws in place to protect people from unwelcome advances. But I sometimes wonder if we've gone too far in the other direction. Normal male/female interaction, and yes, even light flirtation, are not such terrible things. Its kind of a shame that lawsuits and career damage have to constantly lurk in the background. Do we all really want to spend a big part of our lives working in a neutered work environment where people have to watch what they say constantly? What is the proper balance?
Points to ponder. In the meantime, adieu darlin!
|
The English National Opera confirmed they had issued staff new guidelines on using the term of endearment.
They fear use of the word "darling" could constitute sexual harassment in the workplace.
Whats the world of theater without the "Dahlin" and the obligatory peck on each cheek?
Having spent most of my life in the South, I can't tell you how many times I've been called darlin. Waitresses, coworkers, or just plain acquaintances toss it out there in the same vein as, "hey bud". I'm fairly certain that the huge majority of these women didn't exactly have designs on my body. Is it flirtatious, harassment, a term of endearment, or just a cultural thing? Its a good thing all those southern girls don't work for the British opera company!
I don't normally use the term with women I don't know. But I make fairly regular use of the word "hon". Sometimes it just slips in there without me even thinking about it. I've never had an occasion where anyone took it in a way other than it was intended.
I think sexual harassment in the workplace is a terrible thing for anyone to have to endure. I'm glad that there are laws in place to protect people from unwelcome advances. But I sometimes wonder if we've gone too far in the other direction. Normal male/female interaction, and yes, even light flirtation, are not such terrible things. Its kind of a shame that lawsuits and career damage have to constantly lurk in the background. Do we all really want to spend a big part of our lives working in a neutered work environment where people have to watch what they say constantly? What is the proper balance?
Points to ponder. In the meantime, adieu darlin!
|