Thursday, June 17, 2004
Top 10 Good Things About Moving Back to Oklahoma
In the "Trying To Stay Positive Category", I came up with this list about the good points of my impending move: (apologies to David Letterman)
10. Seasons! We don't have real seasons here in Washington. You have what seems like nine months of rain followed by a few beautiful summer months. Oklahoma has all four seasons: a brutally hot summer, an autumn where the leaves change and fall from the trees, a nice cold winter with ice and snow, and a beautiful, fragrant spring.
9. Outdoor swimming - The aforementioned hot summer makes dipping your toes into a nice cool lake a pleasure.
8. Old friends - I have some old friends that I haven't seen or been in contact with for many years. This will be a chance to renew those acquaintances.
7. Accentuating - my slight southern accent won't stand out in a roomful of people.
6. Bixby corn - I've never tasted corn on the cob anywhere near this good anywhere else.
5. Food - now that my mind is on Bixby corn, other food pops into my head. Barbecue! Chicken Fried Steaks! Tex-Mex! Sonic Drive In! Braums Ice Cream! Stuck in the land of salmon and crabs, these things are rare delicacies for me.
4. The Farm - Understand that I'm not really a country guy. I've lived in the country and enjoyed it. But I know next to nothing about cows, horses, or how to raise a crop. I probably won't be doing much of that out there if that is where I end up. Horses are a distinct possibility..the kids would love that. A four-wheeler would be a lot of fun. Having a dog that can run and play instead of being tethered in the back yard or messing up the house would be cool. We can be out fishing in the pond in five minutes. I may not end up out there this year..but its coming.
3. Lower cost of living - a great many things are cheaper in OK. Property taxes are much lower. Gasoline prices are lower. I did one of those "cost of living calculators" and found that I can maintain a similiar lifestyle there making $13,000 less than I make here. I know its all relative..but still.
2. Career - I have a large number of friends in my field there that will enable me to network and enhance my career. I don't really have that here.
1. Family - Of course, most importantly, there is my family. My parents and three brothers will be nearby. My granny is still around and kicking well into her 80's. Aunts, uncles, and cousins are all close by. They will be there for me during these difficult times.
|
10. Seasons! We don't have real seasons here in Washington. You have what seems like nine months of rain followed by a few beautiful summer months. Oklahoma has all four seasons: a brutally hot summer, an autumn where the leaves change and fall from the trees, a nice cold winter with ice and snow, and a beautiful, fragrant spring.
9. Outdoor swimming - The aforementioned hot summer makes dipping your toes into a nice cool lake a pleasure.
8. Old friends - I have some old friends that I haven't seen or been in contact with for many years. This will be a chance to renew those acquaintances.
7. Accentuating - my slight southern accent won't stand out in a roomful of people.
6. Bixby corn - I've never tasted corn on the cob anywhere near this good anywhere else.
5. Food - now that my mind is on Bixby corn, other food pops into my head. Barbecue! Chicken Fried Steaks! Tex-Mex! Sonic Drive In! Braums Ice Cream! Stuck in the land of salmon and crabs, these things are rare delicacies for me.
4. The Farm - Understand that I'm not really a country guy. I've lived in the country and enjoyed it. But I know next to nothing about cows, horses, or how to raise a crop. I probably won't be doing much of that out there if that is where I end up. Horses are a distinct possibility..the kids would love that. A four-wheeler would be a lot of fun. Having a dog that can run and play instead of being tethered in the back yard or messing up the house would be cool. We can be out fishing in the pond in five minutes. I may not end up out there this year..but its coming.
3. Lower cost of living - a great many things are cheaper in OK. Property taxes are much lower. Gasoline prices are lower. I did one of those "cost of living calculators" and found that I can maintain a similiar lifestyle there making $13,000 less than I make here. I know its all relative..but still.
2. Career - I have a large number of friends in my field there that will enable me to network and enhance my career. I don't really have that here.
1. Family - Of course, most importantly, there is my family. My parents and three brothers will be nearby. My granny is still around and kicking well into her 80's. Aunts, uncles, and cousins are all close by. They will be there for me during these difficult times.
|