Wednesday, June 30, 2004
Take This Job and Love It
Hi everyone! First of all, a huge thanks to my guest bloggers. What a combination of hilarious and informative posts! I may never live down the bean thing! I'm on my niece's laptop at my parents house and all is quiet here. This is the first time I've had the opportunity to be online since I've been here!
The good news is that I have a job! When I arrived here on Monday I had not a single interview set up. I had blizzarded schools with my resume but had not yet heard back from any of them. I had planned to spend the week doing calls and "walk ins" at various schools around the area.
I mentioned in a previous post that my dad is still coaching an amateur basketball team. Through that activity he met an assistant principal at a middle school in Tulsa, OK. He told this gentleman about my situation, he asked for a copy of my resume, and apparently gave it to his principal.
Tuesday morning the principal called and asked me to come in for an interview the next morning. She had read my resume and had an open position that she thought would fit me nicely. I went in for the interview and it went sooooo well! We had an instant rapport and spent a lot of time talking about our kids and people we knew in common in our professional lives. At the end of the interview she said, "Mr. Stone, you entice me. I have one more person that I feel like I should interview, but I should know something in the next few days". I left feeling that the odds of my hiring were very high.
I drove back to my parent's house, and when I arrived I realized that I had left my folder of transcripts, certificates, and references in her office. I drove back over (about 20 minutes) and went back in the building. She was standing in the office holding my folder, and had just called my parent's house. She smiled and said, "I'm glad you needed to come back. What would you say to working at my school"? I quickly accepted and she turned to the custodian and said, "We need to find this man an office". I was thrilled! I didn't have to spend the rest of my week asking for a few minutes of time from harried administrators.
What is the position you ask? I am to be the new Academic Dean at Lewis and Clark Middle School in Tulsa. This is a new position at the school and the principal is quite excited about it. It seems to combine functions of an assistant principal and a school counselor. My duties will include dealing with student discipline, supervision, middle school transition, communication with parents, and offering assistance to kids who are struggling academically. The idea is to have someone to spend more time with kids who are "falling through the cracks". I will be part of a three person administrative team at the school and have substantial input in curriculum and staff training. The principal is a lovely lady and I think I'm going to really enjoy working for her. I am excited to land such a "plum" position.
Thats it.....first interview...job...done! I won't be able to commute from the farm so I will be looking the next couple of days at housing options in the area. Now I go back, do summer school, and prepare to move. Whew!
|
The good news is that I have a job! When I arrived here on Monday I had not a single interview set up. I had blizzarded schools with my resume but had not yet heard back from any of them. I had planned to spend the week doing calls and "walk ins" at various schools around the area.
I mentioned in a previous post that my dad is still coaching an amateur basketball team. Through that activity he met an assistant principal at a middle school in Tulsa, OK. He told this gentleman about my situation, he asked for a copy of my resume, and apparently gave it to his principal.
Tuesday morning the principal called and asked me to come in for an interview the next morning. She had read my resume and had an open position that she thought would fit me nicely. I went in for the interview and it went sooooo well! We had an instant rapport and spent a lot of time talking about our kids and people we knew in common in our professional lives. At the end of the interview she said, "Mr. Stone, you entice me. I have one more person that I feel like I should interview, but I should know something in the next few days". I left feeling that the odds of my hiring were very high.
I drove back to my parent's house, and when I arrived I realized that I had left my folder of transcripts, certificates, and references in her office. I drove back over (about 20 minutes) and went back in the building. She was standing in the office holding my folder, and had just called my parent's house. She smiled and said, "I'm glad you needed to come back. What would you say to working at my school"? I quickly accepted and she turned to the custodian and said, "We need to find this man an office". I was thrilled! I didn't have to spend the rest of my week asking for a few minutes of time from harried administrators.
What is the position you ask? I am to be the new Academic Dean at Lewis and Clark Middle School in Tulsa. This is a new position at the school and the principal is quite excited about it. It seems to combine functions of an assistant principal and a school counselor. My duties will include dealing with student discipline, supervision, middle school transition, communication with parents, and offering assistance to kids who are struggling academically. The idea is to have someone to spend more time with kids who are "falling through the cracks". I will be part of a three person administrative team at the school and have substantial input in curriculum and staff training. The principal is a lovely lady and I think I'm going to really enjoy working for her. I am excited to land such a "plum" position.
Thats it.....first interview...job...done! I won't be able to commute from the farm so I will be looking the next couple of days at housing options in the area. Now I go back, do summer school, and prepare to move. Whew!
|