<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, June 19, 2004

My Dad 

With Father's Day approaching, I reflect a little on what my dad has meant to me over all these years. The fact that he is still around is a source of great joy to me.

My dad was born in 1931 and grew up near Council Hill, Oklahoma. His father was a surveyor, farmer, and amateur scientist who was quite proud of being the first in the area to have electricity in his home. My grandfather was a lover of books and he instilled this in my dad at an early age. He would bring home boxes of used books..science fiction, science texts, history, novels, and literature. Dad talked about reading those books night after night on that Oklahoma farm and dreaming of that big world out there. As a kid, I roamed the storage sheds on the farm and poached books from those old boxes.

He was a prodigous student who graduated from high school at 15 years old and college at 19. He took his math degree and began a series of teaching and coaching jobs at small Oklahoma schools. It was at one of those schools where he met my mom..a feisty red-haired wild-as-a-hare softball pitcher and basketball player. They married, and soon thereafter, little Brian came along. He returned to college and got his master's degree in mathematics on a National Science Foundation scholarship...one of those programs created after the Russian launch of Sputnik. After teaching a few more years with a growing family, he left teaching and entered a relatively new field.

He was hired as a research scientist, a geophyicist, for Seismograph Service Corporation in Tulsa, OK. (a subsidiary of Raytheon, Inc.) His background in geology and physics was limited and his knowledge of the early computers of the time was even more so. But he became a star in the field, writing software that would help revolutionize the way oil was searched for. His software took raw seismic data and "processed" it in a way that allowed drilling to be more precise and with greater chances of success. He became an internationally known figure in his field, and travelled the world dispensing his expertise. He became the holder of numerous patents, writer of countless articles and books. He travelled to London several times a year, Iran, Madagascar, China..wherever the search for oil was happening.

Of course, to his five kids, he was just dad. We knew nothing about geophysics, oil, or science. We knew that dad put his suit and tie on every day and headed off to work. We knew he travelled a lot and we always missed him when he was gone. Sometimes he was gone for weeks or even months at a time. He would write letters, send postcards, and call us. We always knew that when he returned there would be goodies in his suitcase for us.

My dad loved many things: his wife and children, science, basketball, chess, and other people. He is one of the most honest, decent, kindest men I have ever known. When I was in trouble, he was always there.

Dad never knew how to dress casually. He always seemed to have that suit, white shirt, and dress shoes on. Even when he worked in the garage, was repairing the car, or playing basketball with us, I never saw him in a pair of jeans, shorts, or tennis shoes. He dressed impeccably and was very particular about the cut of his suits. Old suits became "lounging around" clothes.

He could occasionally get angry and let out a profanity, but it was usually a mild one of his own making ("hellfire damnation"!). Even when my ever-so-intuitive mom knew one of us was up to no good, Dad always believed the best in us...even when evidence pointed the other way. That is the way he perceives life. He always seems to find the best in people.

I wasn't afraid of my dad in a physical sense. He rarely spanked us, but when he did they were something to remember. When we got in trouble for not having cleaned our rooms clean enough (and sometimes ultra clean wasn't clean enough!) you could often find him helping us out to keep us out of further trouble.

In addition to his important job and family, my dad served his community. He has coached youth sports through a good part of my lifetime and continues until this day. This week alone he is coaching four summer league basketball games. He was a long time member of his local school board. He has been a faithful volunteer for a host of church and community programs.

They say that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I sure hope that is true. For my brothers and I, Dad sets a helluva high bar. If I can approach being the kind of man he is, my life will have been a success.

When Dad was very ill in the hospital once and it looked like he might not make it, he told me, "I've lived a great life. This farm boy has raised a great family and travelled the world. I've done things I never dreamed of". I don't think I can put it any better than that.

Happy Father's Day Dad. I love you.



|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?