Sunday, June 06, 2004
A Giant
Ronald Reagan's death marks the end of an era. I cast my first ever presidential ballot for Reagan in 1980. I was excited to be exercising my right to vote for the first time and I read incessantly about the candidates in that election. In spite of the fact that I disagreed with Reagan on a lot of the issues, I voted for him anyway. There was something about him... a charisma, a command of the audience, that twinkle in his eye that drew me irresistibly to his candidacy. I can remember sitting in the common room of my college dormitory and watching the election returns.
I remember the triumphant return of the hostages from Iran. I remember the Normandy speech that brought me to tears. I remember "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall". I remember a leader that rehabilitated the American presidency from its depths of Watergate despair. Yes, of course, I remember his mistakes and misstatements as well.
Ronald Reagan marked the last of an era where both parties battled passionately for their ideas but didn't let their politics get personal. He was an incurable optimist, a dreamer, and a leader. Agree or disagree with his politics, this was a man for the ages.
Godspeed Gipper.
|
I remember the triumphant return of the hostages from Iran. I remember the Normandy speech that brought me to tears. I remember "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall". I remember a leader that rehabilitated the American presidency from its depths of Watergate despair. Yes, of course, I remember his mistakes and misstatements as well.
Ronald Reagan marked the last of an era where both parties battled passionately for their ideas but didn't let their politics get personal. He was an incurable optimist, a dreamer, and a leader. Agree or disagree with his politics, this was a man for the ages.
Godspeed Gipper.
|