Wednesday, May 19, 2004
Those Were The Days!
According to the Discovery Channel: (via Say Anything)
May 17, 2004 — Women of the 1600s, from queens to prostitutes, commonly exposed one or both breasts in public and in the popular media of the day, according to a study of fashion, portraits, prints, and thousands of woodcuts from 17th-century ballads....
Far from being a sign of tawdriness, Jones said breast exposure during the 1600s could indicate a woman's virtue.
"The exposure of the breast was a display of the classical and youthful beauty of the woman — she was showing her 'apple like' unused Venus breasts," Jones said. "This was a display of her virtue, her beauty, and her youth. Upper class women maintained the quality of their breasts by not breast feeding their children and passing them on to wet nurses."
Of course, some history conscious Americans are carrying on this proud historical tradition.
Ever been to New Orleans? I lived just across the lake from "The Big Easy" for several years. I've made a few little sojourns down to Bourbon Street and its unlike anything you'll see anywhere else. On a busy night (and almost every night now is a busy night) you'll see "flashing" everywhere you look. Guys with beads to bargain with negotiate with girls with boobs to flash for the crowd. Some of the girls are tough negotiators and demand the high quality beads before they show their stuff. Then "Hand Grenades" and "Hurricanes" take their alcoholic toll and they practically strip for a 25 cent strand of plastic beads. Where are the standards anyway?!!
I decided I'd lived there too long when I walked down the street and a woman flashing her breasts didn't even cause me to turn my head.
|
May 17, 2004 — Women of the 1600s, from queens to prostitutes, commonly exposed one or both breasts in public and in the popular media of the day, according to a study of fashion, portraits, prints, and thousands of woodcuts from 17th-century ballads....
Far from being a sign of tawdriness, Jones said breast exposure during the 1600s could indicate a woman's virtue.
"The exposure of the breast was a display of the classical and youthful beauty of the woman — she was showing her 'apple like' unused Venus breasts," Jones said. "This was a display of her virtue, her beauty, and her youth. Upper class women maintained the quality of their breasts by not breast feeding their children and passing them on to wet nurses."
Of course, some history conscious Americans are carrying on this proud historical tradition.
Ever been to New Orleans? I lived just across the lake from "The Big Easy" for several years. I've made a few little sojourns down to Bourbon Street and its unlike anything you'll see anywhere else. On a busy night (and almost every night now is a busy night) you'll see "flashing" everywhere you look. Guys with beads to bargain with negotiate with girls with boobs to flash for the crowd. Some of the girls are tough negotiators and demand the high quality beads before they show their stuff. Then "Hand Grenades" and "Hurricanes" take their alcoholic toll and they practically strip for a 25 cent strand of plastic beads. Where are the standards anyway?!!
I decided I'd lived there too long when I walked down the street and a woman flashing her breasts didn't even cause me to turn my head.
|