Sunday, January 04, 2004
Roger Simon is back from New Orleans. As a former suburban resident of the New Orleans area I enjoyed his descriptions of the restaurants, street vendors, museums and historic mansions in the area.
New Orleans is a unique place in his country. While living there I was struck by the contrasts: a conservative Catholic oriented state with a nightlife wilder than anyplace I've ever seen. You can drive through little stands and get a daquiri. You can buy liquor right out of the grocery stores. Some of the really cool clubs don't even get rolling until 2 a.m. I've seen more bare breasts in one night on Bourbon Street than I've seen in my entire life. People are incredibly friendly and strangers will strike up a conversation with ease.
Its also a pretty damned scary place at times. Walk a few blocks off Bourbon Street and you see poverty, run-down buildings, and a lot of suspicious looking characters. The smell in the French Quarter can be downright awful in the summer.... a weird mixture of beer, pot, urine, and sweat. The summer heat is oppressive.
I'd like to go back some day. I wouldn't mind going back more than once. But I don't think I'd ever want to live there again.
|
New Orleans is a unique place in his country. While living there I was struck by the contrasts: a conservative Catholic oriented state with a nightlife wilder than anyplace I've ever seen. You can drive through little stands and get a daquiri. You can buy liquor right out of the grocery stores. Some of the really cool clubs don't even get rolling until 2 a.m. I've seen more bare breasts in one night on Bourbon Street than I've seen in my entire life. People are incredibly friendly and strangers will strike up a conversation with ease.
Its also a pretty damned scary place at times. Walk a few blocks off Bourbon Street and you see poverty, run-down buildings, and a lot of suspicious looking characters. The smell in the French Quarter can be downright awful in the summer.... a weird mixture of beer, pot, urine, and sweat. The summer heat is oppressive.
I'd like to go back some day. I wouldn't mind going back more than once. But I don't think I'd ever want to live there again.
|