Thursday, November 27, 2003
Its Thanksgiving and once again I read Andrew Sullivan's Thanksgiving article. I read it last year and probably a couple of times before that. Its still a powerful statement of who we are as a people.
At the end of November each year this restless, contradictory and simple country finds a way to celebrate itself. The British, as befits a people at ease with themselves, do not have a national day. When the French do, their insecurity shows. Even America, on the fourth of July, displays a slightly neurotic excess of patriotism. But on Thanksgiving, the Americans resolve the nationalist dilemma. They don't celebrate themselves, they celebrate their good fortune. And every November, as I reflect on a country that can make even an opinionated Englishman feel at home, I know exactly how they feel.
I know it too Andy. I have so damn much to be thankful for. We're getting ready to eat a mid afternoon meal and I'm getting misty eyed just thinking about how lucky I am. Lucky to be an American...lucky to have wonderful children...lucky to have a beautiful wife that loves me...lucky to be able to do meaningful work that provides constant rewards...lucky to have good friends...lucky to have a beautiful home...lucky to have wonderful parents and brothers...lucky to be alive.
I'll try very hard not to forget these things during the coming year.
Time to eat!
|
At the end of November each year this restless, contradictory and simple country finds a way to celebrate itself. The British, as befits a people at ease with themselves, do not have a national day. When the French do, their insecurity shows. Even America, on the fourth of July, displays a slightly neurotic excess of patriotism. But on Thanksgiving, the Americans resolve the nationalist dilemma. They don't celebrate themselves, they celebrate their good fortune. And every November, as I reflect on a country that can make even an opinionated Englishman feel at home, I know exactly how they feel.
I know it too Andy. I have so damn much to be thankful for. We're getting ready to eat a mid afternoon meal and I'm getting misty eyed just thinking about how lucky I am. Lucky to be an American...lucky to have wonderful children...lucky to have a beautiful wife that loves me...lucky to be able to do meaningful work that provides constant rewards...lucky to have good friends...lucky to have a beautiful home...lucky to have wonderful parents and brothers...lucky to be alive.
I'll try very hard not to forget these things during the coming year.
Time to eat!
|