<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, November 27, 2003

Aaah. In the American tradition we all got royally stuffed this afternoon. Cajun deep fried turkey, andouille sausage cornbread, casseroles, mashed potatoes, delicious breads, fruit with creamy dip, and delicious pies. Oh man....it was good stuff!

Too bad the Cowboys lost to Miami today. THEN it would've been a perfect Thanksgiving afternoon!

I hope everyone out there had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I've been cleaning up the kitchen and thinking about Thanksgivings past. Living in Oklahoma growing up we never knew what the weather would be like on Thanksgiving. I've seen the ground covered in ice and snow and I've seen beautiful warm sunny afternoons. Some of the things I remember:

1) I remember playing football and basketball with my brothers and friends after the turkey wore off a little bit.

2) I remember listening to my parents, aunts, and uncles sit in the living room and talk about stuff that seemed pretty boring to me at the time.

3) I remember Granny's carrot cake. Oh man....was that ever some good stuff! It had the sweetest, creamiest frosting I've ever had. I don't even like anyone else's carrot cake but I'd kill for a piece of that right now. (Ok, maybe not just RIGHT now! )

4) I remember my mom being stressed out as time approached for guests to arrive at our house. She would bark out orders and complaints and we would all jump up and do what we had to do. Then she would recover and all would be fine.

5) I remember my dad carving the turkey with his trusty electric knife that usually only came out of the cabinet once or twice a year.

6) I remember my friend Bob coming over the night before and spending the night because there often was not a Thanksgiving celebration at his house. My parents treated him like one of the family.

7) I remember some years loading up and driving to my dad's parent's house about 60 miles away (Council Hill, OK) I remember the excitement as we turned down the dirt road that meant we were only a few minutes away.

8) I remember playing chess with my dad and brothers and watching football at the same time.

I remember a lot of things. That is something else to be thankful for. We're all the sum of our experiences and I've been fortunately blessed to have had some incredibly warm, exciting, and memorable experiences.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?